PDA

View Full Version : Weather @ Bristol

two speed prop
3rd Oct 2002, 12:57
I am going to do my CPL/IR at Bristol Flying Centre in Jan/Feb of next year. I am a bit worried about the weather conditions at that time of year as I have heard you can get alot of low cloud/fog in the Bristol area and I don't want my CPL training to drag on for several months.

If anybody has done a CPL in Bristol during Jan/Feb I would be grateful if you could tell me exactly how long it took.

Cheers,

TSP

AMEX
3rd Oct 2002, 19:18
Don't worry too much about the weather. Did mine around that time a few years back and I don't think it dragged that much.
Of course you can always drown your sorrows in the Pub (did that too;)).
Plus you will get to do your I/R with [b]Nasib[b] who is a sunshine himself :D
Seriously though, the weather can be really crap all over the UK and the only downside with Bristol is its, relatively, high elevation, hence a few low clouds.
More a problem during the GFT (is it still called like that?)but usuallly not a big deal for the IR.

Stay at Mary's place for the best food/B&B, house, pool table, large TV, room, host in the B&B world. Book now coz its the area's best kept secret;)

Snigs
4th Oct 2002, 20:55
It's all about luck with the wx. However, did you know that Lulsgate was chosen as a training base in WWII for the Spits and Hurricanes.....It's speciality was bad weather training because of the high occurrence of mist and fog during winter, just a thought. :eek:

What I can tell you is that the instructors there are good, and you get to mix with the big boys in heavy metal (you may hear the dulcet Welsh tones of WWW on the airways).

I didn't do my CPL there but I did my IR at BFC and I enjoyed their company. You won't go far wrong, but allow a little more time than you originally thought.

AMEX
5th Oct 2002, 02:24
However, did you know that Lulsgate was chosen as a training base in WWII for the Spits and Hurricanes.....It's speciality was bad weather training because of the high occurrence of mist and fog during winter, just a thought.

Yeah I kept that quiet because ironically, the bad weather training base was later on shut down because..... the weather was too bad.
Still, a great place, great weather and the best IR instructor in the UK !!! (namely smokey Nasib)

Snigs said it, on the I/R you could only do worse

skyrabbit
5th Oct 2002, 23:17
I did my BCPL training there in Jul/Aug 1995, and waited until mid Oct for a suitable day for test! The weather at BRS is pants! (all year)