PDA

View Full Version : ATP Academy anyone?

wallup
1st Oct 2001, 14:45
Okay so this is a good way for low timed people to get onto jets, but what is the score here?

I've done the MCC with them, got through the selection for the scheme, and then find out I need to do their new AQC course, at even further expense, not that we know how much it's going to be.

Beyond that, a little bird tells me we will also have to make a contribution to the cost of the type rating if we get through to that stage.

However, with no airlines recruiting right now, why spend thousands of pounds which could maybe be better spent on an Instructor rating and keeping current?

Risky business

Grandad Flyer
2nd Oct 2001, 00:09
Hmm. Something not right here. The ATP Academy are a top bunch of people are not the sort to screw around. I can't believe that they didn't tell you that the selection criteria was suddenly going to have an extra stage. Are you sure you didn't miss some info from them? All seems a bit odd. If I were you I would ring and have a chat. If you did pass the selection based on only having to do the MCC course then they should have put you straight into the "pool". They also usually give you a sample contract to check over. So at what point did they say you had passed the selection but would have to do another course? What is the course exactly? Although most airlines aren't hiring, you may still be in luck as people like EasyJet take ATP cadets and I believe they are still recruiting.
You need to get some facts from Jo or one of the top people at the ATP Academy.
They are usually very forthcoming and down to earth with the info you need.

togathrust
2nd Oct 2001, 00:46
I agree. An excellent outfit that pulled me out of the gloom and debt that is often the self improver's lot. A totally honest and professional organisation that had me flying an A320 after 260 hours and an A330 after 1000. (Total time ). Good luck. I can't believe that they are trying it on.

Orangewing
2nd Oct 2001, 01:14
Quite right. Did me proud, got me onto 737 with 260 hrs with easyJet. They are first class professionals, not cowboys. Whatever course they require, think long and hard about dropping out of the scheme, it really is one of the best opportunities around, especially in the current climate.Give them a call, they are a straight talking bunch.
Good luck, :D :D

Ivan Ivanovich
2nd Oct 2001, 01:48
They have replaced the MCC with this new AQC - a cross between MCC and JOC, I understand. They no longer require MCC as a requirement for selection, but those who get past the first two assessment days do a week long (or whatever it is) sim course followed by a test. My understanding is that candidates will not be required to pay for any of this. There is no longer an admin fee to pay either.

They have redesigned the whole process making the selection more complete and attractive to airlines by the sound of it.

Give them a call and confirm it. Let us know what they say.

Good Luck

Ivan.

Pilot Pete
2nd Oct 2001, 03:14
I did a 757 type rating with them, though not on their scheme and found them to be very honest. Although I have no facts to back this up I would be suprised if there were a requirement for cadets in the current climate. Anyone?

Regards

PP

aztruck
2nd Oct 2001, 13:48
A chum of mine is halfway through selection at the moment and was a little unsure of the ramifications of being successful.
I had a chat with one of ATP's Check Captains who explained the scheme to me.
It really does appear to be worth it, in that you get a job at the end and a shed load of jet time making you very employable in your own right.
However, as he explained, the scheme matches your contribution with a considerable sum from their own coffers.
In his words"we cannot afford to get it wrong, because we are putting our money where our mouth is".
Hence the stringent selection procedures. If a candidate changes his mind, he stands to lose 3-4,000, but has at least recieved a load of top training. ATP stands to bite the bullet for around 30,000 with no way of recovering the money.
All of the above is of course subject to strict rumour control, but it seems to match up to what I have heard.

wallup
2nd Oct 2001, 15:49
I have called, looks like this AQC is going to run out at about £6000.

Then you get the sim ride at the end of it, it's three weeks long.

Still not sure about contributing towards the type rating at the end of it, but they are setting up a holding pool of people who get through and will be ready to go once the upturn in airline fortunes comes.

And for the record, first I knew about this AQC course was when I read about it in the IPA magazine. We were then told it was going to replace the MCC and the "phase 4" sim check side of it.

I would be able to do this AQC had I not already forked out for the MCC. However I can only just about keep current at the moment. It seems a little bit much to pay just on the off chance that I may get into a holding pool for a chance of a job in the not so near future.

I understand that the scheme has done well for other people, and it sounds like a very very good opportunity, but I can't see how i can go ahead with this under the current circumstances.

Ivan Ivanovich
2nd Oct 2001, 19:39
Wallup

Sounds like a tough decision. Did you say that you got through the old assessment and into the hold pool, having passed the old phase 4 sim ride? If so when was this?

The new selection procedure was introduced in the least few weeks from what I can gather and I'm sure that ATP are covering the cost of the AQC for candidates who get that far. Which makes sense because if you got through to the hold pool under the old system then you were credited largely or fully for the cost of the MCC at phase 2. Candidates will need to do the AQC phase only if selected thus far.

Could be a case of candidates being caught at different stages of the changover. However I too have heard that it's a scheme worth getting on.

Ivan

springbok449
3rd Oct 2001, 00:48
Same as Orangewing, came thru the scheme, 250hrs total, flying 73s now, can't complain give them a call and find out from the horses mouth as there are lots of people around who may give you a piece of their bitterness rather than true advice.
Good Luck.

pjdj777
3rd Oct 2001, 13:22
Well, this is the score as I see it.

I did my MCC elsewhere, and then applied to the ATP Academy, at the time of my application I understood phase 4 to be a check ride in a simulator.

Got to Phase 2, half day discussion groups and written exams. It was during that day that we were told that the phase 4 checkride had been replaced by the new AQC.

No details were available of the cost, or whether we would have to pay for it.

I got to Phase 3, which cost an administration fee of £250 + VAT. This was a full day of group excercises and interviews. By this time the events of September 11th had taken effect and no airlines were recruiting - the plan now is for those who get through phase 4 to go into a holding pool.

I've got to Phase 4, frantically scrabbling to get the cash together for the AQC - it's a lot, Wallup is correct about the cost.

Once the AQC is complete you do a sim ride and only then do you know if you are into the scheme. Quite a gamble, but it is an opportunity.

I'll admit I am a bit peeved that just a few months ago at this stage all that was required was a sim ride, but having said that I think the AQC will better equip me for the assessment. I also guess we're all in the same boat since Sept 11th too, there are no guarantees.

My brain hurts, I'm going for a lie down ;)

Ennie
4th Oct 2001, 21:57
I did my MCC at the ATP Academy, it was first class. I had a crack at the scheme but had no joy. However I know many people who have been chosen and who now have F/O positions on jets, I think it's well worth going for, it may cost you a bit but it sure would be worth it. :)

DeeTee
5th Oct 2001, 01:47
a couple of years ago I had my new CPL/IR and a huge debt, had no way to even scrape enough money for a beer, and did the old style ATP selection. I was lucky to go through it, at that time they didn't charge you for anything. They placed my into the RHS of a jet with only 230 hours. A top outfit, and the only ones you hear speaking badly of them are those that failed to get through. I am not familiar with the new scheme or course, but what I can tell you...when it gets ****ty, and there are damn few jobs around, ATP still places pilots....in this climate if you can...give em a go.

Best of luck guys and gals.