PDA

View Full Version : Post-aptitude analysis

stevie h
2nd Oct 2002, 20:27
Thought it was about time a new thread was started to see what people thought about the brits tests over the last few days.

Personally, I thought the content wasn't too bad, but it was all about speed and that's what will sort out the top scores from the lower scores. These scores will not solely determine who they take through to the next stage but will play a major part.

Anyone else surprised to see so many people there? I suppose to have got to the last few hundred is pretty good. Anyone know how many make it through to the next stage? Time will tell.

Anyway, good luck everyone.

H

pa28biggles
2nd Oct 2002, 20:39
I thought the tests weren't easy, but i guess its a matter of time as you say.
Excuse me for stating the obvious, but what people have to remember (myself included) is that not being successful on this cadetship does not mean you cannot be a successful pilot. The standard required is extremely high because they want six cadets, not all the suitable cadets from all those who applied. I say this because when those rejection letters start coming through it may be difficult to overcome that natural human reaction of rejection. Of course i hope im successful, but i prepare for the worst and hope for the best.....

rossco18_uk
2nd Oct 2002, 21:36
Did them today, similar opinions as yourselves, content was ok, but it was all down to speed and accuracy. Roll on the 9th of October! :eek: I wish everyone the best of luck. Oh and one more thing - was chatting to a very nice girl today, didn't quite catch your name, but I was telling you a bit about flying in Florida, so if you read this then send us an email. :D Had to dash off earlier on.

Good luck again,

Ross

laurie
2nd Oct 2002, 23:36
Love is in the air :D

speedy688
3rd Oct 2002, 07:21
Stevie h,

Just wondering about your comment "These scores will not solely determine who they take through to the next stage but will play a major part". How do you know this? Is it just an assumption or do you know for sure? I hope you're right as I think I did quite a good job on the app. form.

Apparently 50 from the 200 tested will go on to the next stage.

pinkpilot
3rd Oct 2002, 09:37
Apparently they are going to send the tests over to Dublin to be analysed but they also take the applications forms into account, I overheard someone asking the supervisor!!

Yeah 20-50 was the figure I heard, but I also heard something about taking people over to Jerez for tests?? Anyone else pick up on that ??

Pp

scroggs
3rd Oct 2002, 10:03
Aptitude tests are a filter, not an end in themselves. You can certainly fail aptitude tests, in which case you could have the best interview and application form in the world, but you still won't get a job! In this case, just passing the tests is unlikely to be enough as there are so many candidates, but Britannia will assess you on all your qualities, not just aptitude. It's quite possible for a candidate with average aptitude, but excellent interview score, to come out ahead of a candidate with an average interview score and excellent aptitude.

Speed is necessary to differentiate between those with 'natural' aptitude, and those who think their way through a test. It has nothing to do with speed being required in a cockpit. Doing things quickly in an aeroplane is a good way to get yourself dead!

IanBowden
3rd Oct 2002, 15:17
They were'nt easy at all. The maths etc in itself would be simple if one didn't have the added pressure of time as has been said. All we can do now is wait, I am pleased to have got this far so i'll be dissapointed of course, but its not the end of the world. Sponsorships are renowned for being tough competition.

pa28biggles you must be the guy sitting on the 1st table in the coffee room, must be :confused:

Good luck everyone,

Regards from the North East.

Ian Bowden :cool: :cool:

Funkie
3rd Oct 2002, 16:45
Hi all,

I was unsuccessful, but would like to know the following;

Were the tests in any way similar to those conducted by the RAF?

I suppose you’ll only know if you’ve been there and through the process, but I would appreciate if you could make a comparison.

Regards,

Fra:D

pa28biggles
4th Oct 2002, 10:20
IanBowden
Your correct! How did you guess that?! I was wearing a light blue shirt, light blue tie, with a navy colour suite, i have short hair, and about 6ft. Almost sounds like im on a dating web-site! :)

The RAF aptitude test conducted by GAPAN is different. Its all computer based and nothing like the Britannia tests. Go onto their web-site (dont know the address), i think that there are some examples there. The GAPAN aptitude tests are a measure of your pilot qualities e.g co-ordination, memory testing etc.... The Britannia tests seemed simply to be intelligence tests.
Hope this helps!

bawbag
4th Oct 2002, 15:50
hia,

started a new thread coz i didnt see this one...doh...

I hated the fact that they didnt give you a indication of the time left... then said 'pens down' .. but i suppose any potential pilot should be aware of the time anyway...

thought they were ok- but the mechanical reasoning pissed me off because I didnt unerstand half of it.. I've never done that sort of stuff before... ask me a question about social science then bingo.... i'll learn that stuff before the next one...

the RAF tests are quite good because they are all on computer... i found that it makes them easier... you can only do them twice.. they cover all branches you could apply for as an officer.... i would say that you can really prepare for them... you can do some maths stuff to speed up your response rate- but the most important thing is being able to accurately do speed distance and time stuff for the group and individual excersises...

blah blah ... i dont half go on....

scott

Funkie
4th Oct 2002, 17:11
Guys,

Thanks for the input. As for the RAF, I am fully aware of their systems as I have successfully been through the process, but for eyesight reason cannot fly...:mad:

Does anyone, who's been though the Brits process, feel like posting a brief synopsis of the tests?

Good luck all.

Fra:D

AMEX
4th Oct 2002, 17:35
Hard to tell whether or not speed is an important factor in succeeding the selection process.
I personally finished them all but was certainly not in the position to say if I had done well or not.
On the other hand, I know someone who told me ha had not completed all the test. Still he passed and so did I.

Just wait and see, Brits will let you know soon enough.

stevie h
4th Oct 2002, 22:27
Surely it's a combination of speed and accuracy that will give you a high score. No good taking your time over only half the questions and getting them all correct, or rushing through them all but only getting half of them correct. Do you lose marks for wrong answers?

AMEX
5th Oct 2002, 02:20
Stevie h yeah I guess you are right. My point was, just because you have finished it all or not doesn't give you any indication as what the outcome is.
From a DEP point of view, I seem to remember that 5% made through the 1st stage (Applictaion form), then amongst them 20% will go through the second stage. Finally once at the sim stage 50% would succeed. hope you you are in that category.

If you get rejected at any stage, please keep in mind there is nothing wrong with you. Rather, try to take on board any lesson you may have learnt from it and later on, during an other interview/appl form, make this experience positive.
This will be a leap forward and will give the edge as when you have to answer, Tell us when you faced a difficult situation, failed, etc....
All positive stuffs if put in the right words.

Best of luck