PDA

View Full Version : BFR logbook 'fee's'

Knave
2nd Oct 2002, 19:36
I recently did a BFR with a flying school in Queensland and on my return from the flight I was charged a $28.00 fee for the signature and sticker in my logbook. Not having flown in GA in Australia for a few years, Im wondering if this is standard practise at all schools or if its something out of the ordinary. If it isnt and its perculiar to this particular school, Id like to know.

Knave

Icarus2001
2nd Oct 2002, 20:28
Knave, an Aeroplane Flight Review as the BFR is now known does not usually require an entry using the LBE (log Book Endorsment) system. Most schools put a stamp in the appropriate page of the logbook and sign that. Some keep a register of their own (not much use elsewhere!)
For Flight Tests endorsements etc the LBE system is used and stickers are charged for.
Did you also do an endorsement or some other "test" at the same time?

Knave
3rd Oct 2002, 12:48
Thanks

There was no endorsement. I hold a current Australian license and was simply doing a BFR to enable me to hire the aircraft in question.. the sticker in question refers to flight review IAW CAR 5.81/ 5.108 only. First time Ive been charged specifically for a sticker and signature and that struck me as odd given there was no actual training involved.

Charlie Foxtrot India
3rd Oct 2002, 14:32
Flying schools recoup costs in many different ways.
Personally I don't agree with charging people for things that cost the school nothing, such as LBEs, student pilot licences, log book stamps etc.
However, AFRs can be quite time consuming if the pilots are rusty, and it is an opportunity to brush up on things and have some training on NAIPS etc. Often the instructor can spend two to three hours on the ground before the flight, and the instructors should be paid for that time. We charge a briefing fee, but this is waived if the AFRee comes well prepared and is able to do the performance charts, weight and balance, get the weather, file the flight plan and hop in and go without assistance.

Rich-Fine-Green
3rd Oct 2002, 20:18
I have no problem with a school charging for a CFI's time as it is hard to make up the 50K-60K p/a that it usually costs a school for a CFI with the works.

Knave
3rd Oct 2002, 22:58
I have no problem with paying a fair price for a fair service. I do have concerns when you return from a flight expecting to pay a certain amount of money and find a fee that no one advised you of when you booked the flight. Had I been told there would be an additional fee for the BFR, I would have considered it when comparing flight schools, but to find out about it only when you question your bill is a bit late.
What I would like to know is if the imposition of unspecified fees is becoming standard in the flight training business now. I had already been given the charges for dual costs and airport landing fee's, so shouldnt any other costs also be communicated to the customer before the flight? Australia is starting to remind me of the US and Asia, where the price advertised is NOT the price you will be charged after the addition of state fees, federal fees, council fee's,'environmental' fee's, etc.

Icarus2001
4th Oct 2002, 05:32
Knave, ask them why a LBE sticker was used as it is not required. If they called it a briefing fee there is no argument but otherwise they may as well charge you a car park fee, a sitting in the office fee etc.

No wonder the AUF numbers are swelling and poor old GA flying schools struggle.

Knave
4th Oct 2002, 12:17
Thanks Icarus, I will. It'll be a while before I get back there though. I have to say Ultralights are looking better and better all the time for recreational flying.

McIce
4th Oct 2002, 13:38
Knave I can only sympathise with you. The hidden costs are nothing more than outrageous.

I have 50 hours of a 150 hour CPL course still to go and I am approx $5000 off spending what was quoted to me for doing the whole thing.Somehow I don't think I'll get 50 hours flying for 5K.

All schools I visited failed to mention Exam Fees, Casa Endorsement Fees, Lecture & Briefing Fees are not included and the most annoying thing, you can be paying well over $200 an hour for flying a 30 year old plane with an instructor beside you not saying an awful lot. Then on your return to the ground you have to pay approx 30 bucks an hour for a debrief. If I only knew then what I know now.

A bit of honesty amongst those who sell courses to students may actually help instead of cutting off their noses.
Surely the best form of advertising is word of mouth and I for one wont be recommending my school :mad: