PDA

View Full Version : It comes down to the burning passion to fly

furymonastry
1st Oct 2001, 06:03
So then, just last week I made the decision to become a civil airline pilot. What a nightmare!... The thing is, I know that this is what I want to do and I will do it. Ive got my 9 GCSEs and 3 A levels and like most these days went off to uni. Its a right laugh, been abroard 4 times already this year, met loads of sound folk, plenty of women and pissed my money up the wall. Great fun!....Didnt pass the year though...why?...I need to feel passionate, fired up and facinated with what im doing in order to succeed. This is how I know I can suceed as an airline pilot. Regardless of all the bad stuff in the news at the moment and all the negative sides to being a pilot, I still want this more than anything and will strive to achieve my ambition.
I am pretty clued up on the industry already but am trying to gather as much info as possible on sponsorship schemes and tips on how to get my 'foot in the door' so to speak.
I need advice on what to do with my degree...do I quit and devote all my time to learning more of the industry through direct work experience and continued research or carry on as I am,doing this degree and seeking sponsorship at the same time? What will be more effective??
My life has been thrown offcourse, upside down and inside out...thats why its a nightmare....an enjoyable one though, if there is such a thing.
So there we have it...a little insight into my life....I'm off for a little fun on my flight simulator just to stir up a little more passion....oh and some more **** taking from my not so sympathetic mates....

;)

Shanks
1st Oct 2001, 12:32
Greg,

Finish your degree, there's going to be areas in the ATPL groundschool modules that you'll probably feel far from passionate/fired-up about. Packing in for these reasons will not reflect well when you're being considered for sponsorship, plus having a degree will differentiate you from applicants without degrees (that, along with having some flying experience, holding a class 1 medical, having sat the GAPAN apptitude - everything helps).

There's probably not going to be much chance of being sponsored for the next year or two, so if you're serious, use this time wisely. Finish your degree, not only will it hold you in good stead later in life, you'll also enjoy another couple years as a student and leave with a sense of achievement. Wish I was back at uni!

furymonastry
1st Oct 2001, 15:38
thanks for your advice mate...what i should have told you is that im doing a degree in marketing and management...totally unconnected to the air industry...well almost anyway....
does that change the way i should carry things from now on? :confused:

Shanks
1st Oct 2001, 16:48
Greg,

A science degree would help with the groundschool, however your course is highly relevant. Most airlines aren't simply considering your ability to fly, they're looking for future captains - knowledge of business management will be a real bonus when you come to apply. If you have ANY choice in your projects/thesis, do your best to relate them to the airline industry - valuable knowledge and the possibility of making contacts for the future. Spend some time brushing up on your physics and maths though, you'll need it for the apptitudes.