PDA

View Full Version : Kununurra Accommodation

purpletank
2nd Oct 2002, 17:06
Just wondering which caravan parks or other forms of accomodation people have stayed in during their time in Kununurra.

Also, what type of money were you paying a week?

Thanks.

redsnail
2nd Oct 2002, 20:43
I stayed in a room in a shared house. Chockers full of pilots. Quite fun. I paid $80-90 a week plus expenses. Expenses are.... you'll pay quite a bit for electricity in the Wet season just for the air con. Food isn't the cheapest and you'll go through a lot of beer. :D

batch
3rd Oct 2002, 03:21
Kona Lakeside Caravan Park, large caravan for $145 a week plus power, during the wet can be up to $30 a week due to a/c. Nice view of lake kunnas but swarming with mossies. Then 2 bedroom unit (partly furnished) with another pilot, total rent of $230 a week plus power and water. Not the cheapest place to live, have heard of similar units up to $260. That is the price you have to pay to live in the action packed metropolis that is kunnas.

cheers:D

topend3
3rd Oct 2002, 03:24
try the long grass over near kelly's knob, nice anc clean and you will get to know the locals and experience the aboriginal culture.

no, seriously, buy a copy of the local rag, there will be lots of shared accomodation, best thing to do as rent is horrendous up there and everyone is trying to get money for their spare room.

you will probably be lucky to get work flying there now as it is approaching the wet which is quiet time. best to go before the start of the dry around feb-march, there will be heaps of pilots there, there always is.

good luck anyway

purpletank
3rd Oct 2002, 14:32
Yeah thanks for the info. I'm heading up there at the end of January to join the masses.

Just another query, is there many bar jobs to be had. I assume I would have to be extremely lucky to get a job straight of the bat and I guess I gotta pay the rent somehow.:rolleyes:

batch
4th Oct 2002, 02:54
purpletank,

Jan may be a little early as operators do not really start employing till march/april but it will give you time to get set up. Accomdation fills up during the early part of the dry so get in while you can. There are a few bars in town but you will find it hard to score a job in jan as kunnas is very quiet. I was lucky and got a hospitality job quickly but many people get work picking bannanas in the plantations. The major bars are The Hotel Kunnunurra, The Country Club Hotel, The Mecure, Gullivars Tavern and maybe the Sports Club.

Good Luck

Northern Chique
4th Oct 2002, 03:17
Lived in Kunnas for 2 1/2 years ... $200 week fully furnished unit and somewhere in the vicinity of $3-$5 a day for electricity. (I was on 3 phase with fully ducted air con)

Had a carport, frequently vacant of cars but a great spot for keg parties... 2 mins from most important venues...

Originally got casual work in reception until 3 months later I had full time work.

I stopped counting after 300 bungles..

KAOS
8th Oct 2002, 06:18
northern_chique,

plse check your private messages.

:)

jetage
8th Oct 2002, 10:08
$100/wk furnished, all exps. and not a dump. call 0891681273 but there may not be a vacancy...

pretty cruisy, quiet sorta place if you don't mind dogs

avoid backpackers joints if you can, they're expensive and just not worth it.

good luck

Raingauge
8th Oct 2002, 12:37
You could always set up camp on the door step of one of the two major operators, that way when you do crack a job, you'll already know how it feels to be walked all over. Oh yeah, and don't worry about studying up CAO 48...thoughs rules (laws) don't apply up there.