View Full Version : Maersk [Air UK] are at it again.

411A
2nd Oct 2002, 01:44
MOR
The Europeans are now just discovering the operating economics of the CRJ...something the US regional carriers have known for a long time. Maersk in the past have had some very bright folks, suspect that not all have left. Wish them luck, they will need it in todays market.

sharpshot
2nd Oct 2002, 07:33
That's very sad to hear - the 735 had remained in the winter programme.
Does the Athens route survive?

The thing that amazes me, is that every time Maersk Air UK has handed a 73 back, they always seem to end up sub-chartering short term:confused:
Be interesting to see what happens when you need a CRJ 700 replacement in a hurry. (A ZAP 73 no doubt?)

FormerFlyer
2nd Oct 2002, 08:22
I'm due to go on hols next year with them to KTT - will the CRJ make it all the way there?

Brakes to Park
2nd Oct 2002, 08:38
411A , just FYI , cos Arizona is a long long way from Europe , the subject of this thread is Maersk Air UK not Maersk Air DK.

I doubt that you were even aware of their existence , never mind being in a position to pontificate about their future and past. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Blighty Pilot
2nd Oct 2002, 09:07
We are lead to believe that the Athens route will be on the CRJ200 as of the 26th October.

FormerFlyer
2nd Oct 2002, 09:19
Oh well if it can get as far as ATH, then I suppose KTT in Feb won't be a problem for it.

Just hope there's not too many pairs of skis getting checked in. Hope Inghams haven't sold more seats than are on a CRJ - which is how many out of interest?

Blighty Pilot
2nd Oct 2002, 12:03
CRJ200 = 48 SEATS
CRJ700 = 64 SEATS

Don't know about KTT not heard about weather we are even operating the route there. As soon as I hear I will post something on here.:confused:

FormerFlyer
2nd Oct 2002, 13:38
Thanks for that info BP :D

Inghams have you down as doing Sunday flights through winter ex BHX - poss absorbing spare capacity that is now being shed?

sharpshot
3rd Oct 2002, 07:30
Skis on a CRJ 200 -all 48 pax with them:confused:

Next summer you'll all want your surfboards - on the roof rack:D :D

Blighty Pilot
3rd Oct 2002, 08:51
I believe the winter skiing charter to Turin is scheduled on the CRJ 700. This a/c has plenty of room for the ski's in the forward hold. :cool:

sharpshot
4th Oct 2002, 09:14
Yes, but Lyons, with more flights is showing both -200 and -700.

Whatever, hope you're all still employed - savings by fleet reationalisation can be made in other areas.

What_does_this_button_do?
5th Oct 2002, 08:55
I edited the title.

411A
6th Oct 2002, 07:33
Yes...noticed, and then assigned same to 411A...(wonder why?).
But, as long as you have, just want to say guys, be glad you have jobs in this very difficult market, the CRJ is a nice bit of kit, no not as big as the Boeing, but nice nevertheless.
The stack of CV's on my desk reaches to eight inches+...wish we could put all to work...:)

Cyrano
10th Oct 2002, 10:40
Weekend scheduled flights to destinations with ski traffic (LYS,GVA,MXP,TRN) are on the CRJ700. As a previous poster said, the forward hold on the '700 is useful for carrying skis. (And I note from their small print that MYT charge £15 each way for carrying skis on BHX-GVA.)

The 3x weekly ATH service in the winter schedule will be on a CRJ700, not a CRJ200.

We'd had no definite plans for Kittila charters this winter, even before the fleet announcement (Inghams brochures notwithstanding).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Cyrano

boredcounter
11th Oct 2002, 19:46
savings by fleet reationalisation can be made in other areas.

How?

alterego
13th Oct 2002, 11:25
Savings posibly include:

1. Lease costs of 737s
2. Cost of Management pilots (737 Fleet Manager, Tech Pilot, TREs/TRIs, etc)
3. Training costs- apparently it is actually cheaper to go to AMS for the sim than LHR. Flights to AMS are alot cheaper than mileage to LHR!
4. Running costs of 737s: Fuel, Nav charges & Landing fees all higher than CRJs.
5. Engineering 2 types of A/C.
6. Carrying more cabin crew.

I am sure I haven't listed them all but it is not just the cost of us guys at the front. It is also important to remember it isn't just us that are affected. Cabin crew and engineers could also go.

411A
13th Oct 2002, 22:21
boredcounter
...ah, well to state the obvious, smaller aircraft "generally" result in smaller salaries, with many companies.
Got the picture?:eek:

boredcounter
14th Oct 2002, 15:40
'Savings by fleet reationalisation can be made in other areas.'

Now I read that as you can make the same £ saving in other areas. You seem to see it otherwise. Perhaps Sharpshot would like to advise from which angle it was posted.

Alas 411A I indeed do have the picture. Whilst not Aircrew, I have been with MSK for around a Decade.

Fly safe

Bored

Edit dumb spelling

sharpshot
17th Oct 2002, 09:08
Far be it for me to do your job for you Bored!
Basic economics for one - "Economies of Scale" - if you have 5 buses it doesn't cost you 5 times to run them as it does one.;)

How many people are running around behind the scenes maintaining procedures manuals etc. How many stores people trying to maintain records for different fleets; how much training to keep engineers current on different types; you won't need a tug to drag a 737 around, guess smaller ones will drag the CRJ's
comfortably. Won't have to maintain the larger tug and keep spares; what about 737 rotables - spare engine(s) - all ££/$$ tied up!etc.etc.

P.S. Close the hangar doors now its cold & keep your heating bill down:D :D

P.P.S. Did you have to buy in sim training for the 73 crews?

Go on, fly the Chatham flag, I like seeing you!!

sharpshot
21st Oct 2002, 07:38
Unbelievable.........well not to the trained eye - 737's gone and as predicted what have you done today??

SUBCHARTERED

Is that a cost saving:confused: :confused:

boredcounter
21st Oct 2002, 22:07
The 737 has not gone, but committed to a commercial operation in Denmark, with two crews an all. But that is a different story.
The ZAP 733 in to cover AOG CRJ7 on un-scheduled engine change due FOD. Cut tyres, damaged engines....well swept active areas, now that would be a cost saving................................

Anyways, you may have noticed a BLUE CRJ2 floating around. So the fleet size is the same. How do you equate KA's absence to the sub-charter today.

Bored

alterego
29th Oct 2002, 15:19
The letter arrived in the post this morning. 15 Pilots to go and COs demoted to FOs.

I must say it is very disappointing as I had another offer when I accepted this. Maersk was chosen as I was told the Franchise (and therefore my new job) would be safe for 4 years.

As usual those most likely for the chop get the least. I hope the CC manage to at least get payment in lieu of notice, as this would be tax free. It would be insult to injury to have to pay tax and have to work the notice period.

boredcounter
31st Oct 2002, 23:46
There is a private forum!

Bored

FormerFlyer
1st Nov 2002, 08:00
If it was all stuffed in there then I (& several others) wouldn't have a clue about what's going on - so keep it out in the open please.

Ta.

alterego
3rd Nov 2002, 10:12
Boredcounter

Yes, I know there is a private forum but I believe that this should be out in the open so that total doom & gloom is prevented.

The fleet rationalisation seems to make economic and commercial sense, I have said that before. It does mean redundancies and pain for some. Likely to include me.

The future of Maersk is a different story, the more efficient the airline, the more likely it is to succeed.

Hiding the whole picture from the open site will mean that more cynical rumour mongers will have field day, at our expense. Already one pax has queried our ability to give him the service he has booked. How many would book elsewhere on the off chance?

Maersk is a good company to work for. I hope and believe it will come through this stronger.

boredcounter
4th Nov 2002, 18:27
Fair point mate. As the dear old grubbies would say 'noted with thanks'. Good luck and pecker up. From what I hear, and no do not ask here as I will not post uncontrolled rumours on an open thread, things aint as bad as they may look from the bottom of the pile.

Judging by your last post, if you can, try and ride the storm. If you can, I could be dragging you out of bed at 0500 in a years time! My fingers crossed for you all.

Bored