PDA

View Full Version : So, how is QF treating the AN refugees?

Buster Hyman
2nd Oct 2002, 12:50
I was saddened to hear that some former colleagues who were "lucky" enough to get jobs at QF were not so happy at their treatment there. These were CSO's I'm talking about, lots of experience & generally all good operators. However, upon their training at QF they were treated like they didn't know anything & are basically rotting on the check in counters on a part time basis!

Okay, sure, they are lucky to be employed in the industry, but is that the case across the board? How are you crews out there finding it? I guess there'd not be many complaints since the carrott of a full time position would be dangled in front of you & the old "There's plenty out there who'd take your job if you don't like it." line is always a good backup for management!:(

MoFo
3rd Oct 2002, 07:18
Hey. Don't do QF any favours here people. Keep your talents to yourselves and teach the big Q a lesson.

Throw me a frickin bone.

cabin secure
7th Oct 2002, 07:25
I know quite a few people who have gone to Qf in ground staff tech crew and F/A casual positions.
The tech crew seem to be happy. Particularly the S/O's. ( I don't think that needs clarification!)
The flighties can't believe the way they have been welcomed and fully accepted. I've only heard of 2 people complaining, and they did that at AN too, so hardly surprising.
Generally I hear it is the ground staff that are unhappy too. General feeling seems to be the criticism re: their enthusiastic customer service focus.
Have to say have dealt with our old AN people at QF check in, and have watched them as I've lined up for half an hour, and unbiased opinion is, they are exceptional people focused people.
Damn shame we had such poor management 'cause we sure as hell had great people!:)
I MISS US!:(

Capt Claret
7th Oct 2002, 07:38
Buster

I can only imagine it would be very difficult for both the ex Ansetters having to change their culture and for QF to deal with new employees who have experience in a different culture, corporate that is.

I was in a hotel bus at Melb late last year and over heard two Tesna pilots having a discussion with a former colleague commencing his line training that day with QF.

The whole conversation was a criticism of QF SOPs as compared with AN SOPs. I did not think that it bode too well for a nnewbie to be so critical of his new employer.

I wonder if your former colleagues who are unhappy with their treatment at QF had a similar attitude? This is not to tar all or only ex AN staff with such an attitude. It's just human nature I think to resist change to some degree.

Buster Hyman
7th Oct 2002, 12:11
Fair call Capt Claret.

One can only take what one is told at face value. I'm genuinely happy for all of those that are going great at QF & indeed DJ as well.

Cabin Secure.

ME TOO! I have to agree, we had some exceptional people, and, naturally, we had dead wood too. I think that this would be excellent subject matter for someone doing behavioural Psychology. The cultural differences between the two carriers & how they integrate would be fascinating.

It's interesting to note that QF now has "ingested" employees from both TN & AN...from what I know of the latter two, it will only make QF a better airline.:)

1A_Please
8th Oct 2002, 09:29
It's interesting to note that QF now has "ingested" employees from both TN & AN...from what I know of the latter two, it will only make QF a better airline.

If I'm not mistaken this statement applies all the way to the top with GD being a former employee of both AN and TN.

10th Oct 2002, 22:39
From what I hear those employed by QF are very happy indeed to have a career again.

The one thing I did hear from a group of QF F/O's (which cracked them up no end) with about 10 years seniority at QF was that an ex AN skipper (young guy apparently) commuting as an S/O from Melbourne telling the 10 year QF boys that he will gain a command with Australian Airlines in the very near future and bypass those 1100 odd QF guys ahead of him because he has considerable command experience and the QF guys did not.

According to the QF guys after they picked themselves up off the floor they could not believe the fact that this new guy actually believed his own dillusional crap!

Buster Hyman
11th Oct 2002, 00:12
Ah yes, 1013, our industry is full of people like that. I can assure you that AN didn't have sole rights to that kind of attitude! :)

I'm glad to hear that you know of people happy & doing well. I must admit, after looking at my original post, I did neglect to stress that this wasn't an across the board attitude. I personally know of an ex AN CM, who did the NZ thing for a while & has now been promoted to CM on QF mainline.

I just hope that the good people are recognised, as such & people like you described, make way for those with a small amount of humility & a great amount of ability.

Cheers. :)

Boeing Belly
11th Oct 2002, 00:34
He didn't happen to mention wether his old man used to be AN Chief Pilot did he?

12th Oct 2002, 12:06
Boeing Belly old boy.
I'm sorry I do not know for sure if said person was related to an ex AN Chief Poobah as the info was related to me by one of the QF F/O's and not direct.
I'll ask and let you know.

Spoke to a few ex AN CM's last week and although the work is a little different these guys are having a ball and glad to be back in the air so to speak.

If someone does their job well with enthusiasm and a smile on their face then Qantas has reaped the rewards here.

Buster Hyman
12th Oct 2002, 15:15
Say hello to "Woderwick, the Wapist & Wobber" for me 1013! ;)

13th Oct 2002, 23:33
Boeing Belly old boy.
I spoke to said individual and he was not sure whether this person was actually a son or not but the name was the same so there you go!
Bit of a coincidence if he aint related with a name like that!

Buster.
I shall do you wowdy wabble wouser!!!!!!

Feather #3
14th Oct 2002, 01:12
BB

I think you'll find that an ex-CP of AN has a brother who's a senior C/C member, as well as a son in C/C and another T/C.

Nice to have them aboard!

G'day ;)