PDA

View Full Version : Residential or Distance?

Select Zone Five
2nd Oct 2002, 10:49
I'm 29 and I quit my job in March to get my PPL(A), I passed the skill test a week and a half ago. :D

Here's the thing...

The bug has well and truly bitten and now I am intending to study to fATPL. I have a fair amount of money saved up but not enough to go Integrated. I'm booked in for my Class 1 medical this week and I've been extensively searching PPRuNe for info (a huge help, this is a excellent site). I just have a few points to clarify.

1) Is it best to do ATPL ground school first and hour build before CPL/IR? (current TT is 48 hrs)

2) Considering I have no job, is it best to do a 'residential' or 'distance' GS? I was wondering whether I should get a temp job and study in the evenings/weekends. (how long should each method take?)

3) Whilst in this interim period on inactivity, what should I brush up on (studywise) from my PPL course notes? i.e. stuff to memorise (Air Law?)

I would just like to say that the posts I have read in Wannabes are inspiring. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that is scared out of my wits! When I start doubting myself I remember these things...'I Love flying' and 'I don't want to regret not doing this'. I am quite concerned that there seem to be few jobs out there but I'm trying not to think about it too much. :eek:

Opinions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

FlyingForFun
2nd Oct 2002, 11:09
SZF,

Residential, no question at all.

To answer your specific questions:

1) You're not allowed to start the CPL/IR until you've passed all the exams, so you don't have an option there.

A more common question is whether to hour-build before the exams. I think the best answer is no, leave the hour-building until after you've done the exams. That way, you'll be more current when you come to start your CPL. Having said that, there's nothing to stop you flying a little whilst studying - it'll keep you current, and reduce the amount of hour-building you have to do after the exams. Not to mention that it's fun - I couldn't imagine not flying whilst studying!

2) Definitely do residential. The only reason for doing distance learning is if you can't afford the time or money for residential. Having said that, you did mention getting a temp job. Are you running out of money? If you need to get a job, you might not have any choice...

3) Really not very much you can do here, the syllabus is completely different from PPL. About the only subject which I've fond to be similar was R/T, but that's so simple it's not worth stressing about until you need to.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

FFF
-----------

GonvilleBromhead
2nd Oct 2002, 11:51
I was in exactly the same boat as you SZF. Quit my long houred IT job at 29 after PPL, now completed the ATPL's by distance learning, now age 30. I chose to take a no-brainer job though whilst studying to help things along, but freed up a hell a lot of my time by quitting the IT lark.

Have to agree with all FFF says, residential if you can, but then if you go distance learning with only a part-time job, then you would probably still get through the studies in a reasonable time frame.

Also agree, save the majority of hour building till after the exams, not only does it make you more-recently practised, but gives something to look forward to after the exams. Kept me going anyway.

One subject I may suggest to brush up on before ATPL's is Met.
I found the Thom PPL book useful even during the ATPL's, so if you can get the essentials done before hand (eg. fronts, winds etc) then it will stand you in good stead.

As to length of study, well that one really is up to you. Took me just over a year distance learning, pretty much most evenings, but most weekends off I must say.

How's mod 2 going FFF ?

Good luck SZF.

Squawk 2650
2nd Oct 2002, 16:52
Hi I'm currently doing a distance learning course with Bristol. I find it ok the only thing that put my off with the full time course was the cost difference.

Distance learning is ok if you are fairly motivated.

I know someone who did a full time course at Oxford, passed first time, and also know someone who did distance learning and passed first time.

Have a chat with a few of the instructors at your club, they have all done the exams some how, they should be able to sit down and chat with you.

As for flying for a living, a lot of hard work, but well worth it and lots of fun, no question in my mind!!
See you on the Flight Deck :D

Send Clowns
2nd Oct 2002, 21:17
To add to the answers to your third question: make sure you do know the fundamentals on the PPL stuff. Don't worry too much about law - PPL is UK law, ATPL is ICAO. However get hold of a set of Trevor Thom books or similar and read through. I encounter people who have made it to PPLs with knowing some of the fundamentals, like what TAS is or even that 1 knot=1 nm per hour.

Anyone else out there not yet holding PPL exams, if you are going commercial make sure you get a solid grounding! Go on a PPL groundschool course if possible. Certainly don't learn it all from the Confuser (a terrible book unless used as back up to solid study). You will be a nightmare for your ATPL instructors, as are one or two students with CAA PPLs from slack clubs that let them get away with awful things in the PPL exams!

SC
Gen Nav instructor, BCFT

Select Zone Five
4th Oct 2002, 16:07
Thanks for the information guys, I'm mulling over the options now...I ain't never spent this much cash before! :eek:

License to Fly
5th Oct 2002, 09:57
Definitely do residential and you will have no regrets if you go to Oxford.

Forget the cost difference if you can - I could not think of anything worse than sitting at home by myself learning that course without the interaction from lecturers and other students! You generally get what you pay for in this world and you should pass with better marks and quicker doing full time.

I was in the same position as you and started the ground school with 50 hours - I figured it better to keep the continuity of flying at the end (which would be cheaper in the long run I figured).

LTF

jonjon
6th Oct 2002, 18:31
Select Zone Five

I am pretty much in the same type of situation as you are: I am also thinking of doing the distance learning.

I have a question for those who did the distance learning: how long did it take overall and also how many hours per day of studies?

Anyone did it still working full time?

I am asking as I would like to keep my job, but I'm not sure I can go through the distance learning with a full time position...

Thanks
;)

FlyingForFun
7th Oct 2002, 10:47
jonjon,

Yes, I am doing distance learning while holding down a full-time job. I started towards the end of February. I did the first 8 exams in August, and passed all 8. I will probably do the last 6 exams in either February or March next year.

I try to do some studying each night after work, often working the whole evening from when I walk in the door to when I go to bed, but usually I don't have that much time. I'd guess that, Monday to Friday, I probably average 4 or 5 hours a week. I also try to spend 8 or 10 hours a weekend studying, but sometimes I don't manage this because I'm too busy doing other things. I find that, when I get very busy, as long as I keep some kind of continuity going and send at least one progress test off each week (instead of the usual 2 or 3) it stops the studying from stalling completely.

It is very hard to study while working full-time, but if you're motivated enough it's possible. If you're forced to go this route, I recommend Bristol - I've had no regrets studying with them. But if you don't need to work, then residential has to be far easier.

FFF
-----------

Hufty
7th Oct 2002, 16:19
jonjon,

I'd echo l the above. I am working through my distance learning course with Oxford but decided to split the exams into three blocks rather than two - I felt it was better to focus on a smaller number of exams and get decent grades than just get mediocre marks in everything. I began studying (full time at home) in July of last year - sat the first block in October. Then took a few months off while I began a new job and began again in February, sitting the second batch in August (while working an average of 55 hours a week and travelling between Edinburgh and London every other weekend!!). I am just revising the third batch now to sit them in December. First time passes in all so far, average of 85%.

It can be done - you just need to keep VERY focused and go through it at your own pace. Two week brush up courses at Oxford were incredibly valuable - it must be so much easier doing a residential course though - being around other aviation people and instructors all day every day must be by far the best way to do it.

jonjon
8th Oct 2002, 08:50
Thanks for your posts, it is very motivating,

Now I know it can be done, I am decided to go this route as leaving my job is not an option...unless any of you knows a cheap way of living in London :D (I don't believe it is possible...)

Good luck to you all...

JJ