PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Flying Syllabus ??

onmyway
2nd Oct 2002, 07:41
I was wondering if there is anyone out there that would be able to answer these questions:

· During what period of time was Spin training apart of the flying syllabus (I know that it was a while ago – I just cannot find the exact period of time) ??

· Why and when was spin training removed from the flying syllabus ??

· Where are we at today with spin training – the types of aircraft involved, and what instructors think ??

· Do you think that the governing bodies will make spin training a mandatory part within the syllabus ??

I have been thinking about these questions for a while and was just wondering what everyone else thinks about the topic ??

RENURPP
2nd Oct 2002, 08:12
I can't give you a date I am sorry but I I think it was pre-1976.

I have taught a fair bit of aerobatics/spinning.
Although any form of aerobatic training is an advantage and I believe it does improve a pilots knowledge of what an aircraft and they can do themselves, spin training alone is not going to improve saftey levels.

I feel the important part of teaching a student stalling/spinning is not so much the recovery, although they must be able to demonstrate that they are proficient at it, but the recognition of the approaching stall.

To accidentally spin a modern aircraft would involve gross miss handling and if you have got yourself in that position then the chances are you will not have the ability to recover the situation.

Not having flown a GA training aircraft for some time I am going on memory here, I recall most of them are not certified for spinning which makes it very hard to train pilots if it were re introduced. I think the C152' are approved. As an instryctor I used to show students spinning in the later stages of their RPPL or GFPT training if they were interested.

My oppinion only.

Icarus2001
4th Oct 2002, 05:51
From the DAY VFR Syllabus (Aeroplane) Version 2.2.1.

Page 43, section 7.2

Recover from incipient spin. Recovery at incipient spin stage (stall with wingdrop) is performed and controlled flight is resumed.

So the syllabus requires the student to be deemed competent in spin recovery but only incipient.

If the training is conducted in an aircraft that is spin capable then I have no problems doing full spins. However I teach Aerobatics, the ab-initio trainers we use are aerobatic etc. I wouldn't do full spins with a nervous student for obvious reasons, if their stall recovery is good and they are competent with wing drop recovery then I would leave it at that.

Even the humble C172 can do spins if loaded to the Utility Category limits. +4.4g and -1.76g is available in that category so Chandelles, Lazy Eights, Spins, Stalls and steep turns are permitted in the AFM.