PDA

View Full Version : Does It Matter?

PinkDart
1st Oct 2002, 20:09
A plea for information to all you frequent travellers out there......

I want to know: How important is ground staff / cabin crew presentation to you all from a passenger point of view? In fact - all airline staff in general.

Obviously, no-one would enjoy having their meal and drinks served up by and un-washed pair of hands, but i need to know things like: Does it REALLY Matter if the female cabin crew are not all wearing the exact shade of lipstick? Or does it REALLY matter if their hair isn't perfect?

To me, uniform is about presentation and as long as you wear it neatly and with a smile, the little things don't matter?

What do you all think? I'm getting fed up with far too many regulations that really, in the great scheme of things, do not matter an ounce.

christep
2nd Oct 2002, 04:09
To me the key thing is that the cabin crew and ground staff appear to take some pride in their appearance. Obviously there are good reasons why you should have uniforms, but frankly I think extending this to, for example, the shade of lipstick or the colour of eyeshadow is excessive. Some things should be at the discretion of the individual and their manager. And obviously, hair is likely to be a little less perfect at the end of a 12 hour flight than at the beginning.

But I have to say that it was only on BA that I have been startled by a male cabin crew's eye-liner! ;)

radeng
2nd Oct 2002, 08:27
Far more important to my mind is attitude. If ground staff are surly, unhelpful, chatting to each other while the punters wait, that is to em a no-no. Similarly, cabin staff who spend the maximum amount of time hiding with the curtains drawn, are just about polite and deliberately forgetful when asked for a second drink (second drink of the flight!) do not get any marks from me.

There are staff like that...... not too common though, although in my experience, long haul tend to have more of them than short haul.

essouira
2nd Oct 2002, 08:57
I don't think looking smart is about the shade of your tights or lipstick (in the case of females) or in having to wear a tie (males). I want to feel confident that the cabin crew could get us out in the case of an emergency - and that they will do the rest of their job professionally. I do like it when crew are helpful and friendly.

Mike Southern
4th Oct 2002, 13:08
I don't care what you wear - the most important part of it for me is whether I perceive that I am a valued customer and not simply another obstacle betwen the hostie (or steward) and getting back to the galley.

Boss Raptor
4th Oct 2002, 13:40
presentation of the aircraft, cabin and cabin crew is very important...first impressions count and that is the 'sharp end' of the whole operation...as are the check in staff...

Eboy
4th Oct 2002, 14:23
Agree with most of the above. In answer to your question, No.

redsnail
4th Oct 2002, 17:28
Presentation is important. I can't see that the exact shade of lippy or nail polish is vital. We all have different skin tones. If the uniform folk are so worried then they should offer a choice around a theme.
To be honest, I just want the crew to be professional and be proud to wear the uniform.

SLF
4th Oct 2002, 21:07
Interesting, it never occurred to me that you had this strict code, I'll be checking for matching lipstick and tights next trip, and as for the female CC... :D :D

Momo
9th Oct 2002, 19:24
There is one uniform element that is important to me - a smile. (Once you can fake sincerity, you have got it made.) The head of Customer Service for Swissair told me in 1989 that the hardest job, and greatest achievement, of his career was to get all the Swiss-Germans to smile.

Momo
:)

bealine
9th Oct 2002, 19:45
Shades of Lipstick, as long as not unnatural (such as jet black) or shades that violently clash with the uniform are irrelevant.

Pride in one's appearance, however, reflects pride in the job. I'm a little unhappy myself right now 'cos my shirts are threadbare, my jackets are distressed and my trousers faded as BA Uniform Stores refuses replacement until my uniform falls apart!

Bring back the days of affluence!;)