PDA

View Full Version : Intensive groundschool in Bristol...

the kebabman
1st Oct 2002, 18:10
I was recently talking to someone who has been doing their cpl and they mentioned a short course they did in Bristol which was an intensive learning course. Has anyone else been on anything like that and can they recommend this? I was thinking about doing this before starting my atpl. Also any idea on rough prices? Cheers all...kebabman

redsnail
1st Oct 2002, 19:54
You might be thinking about Bristol Ground School. They run a distance learning course and the 2 week brush up are intensive.

FlyingForFun
2nd Oct 2002, 08:50
I don't think you can do the brush-up course at Bristol without doing the distance learning first. Even if you could, I don't think you'd gain much from it.

I'd suggest you just choose a school and get started! If you go for distance learning, you will have to do one of these brush-up courses (because the CAA say you have to) before the exams. Although, if you can spare the time and the money, I'd suggest you do a full-time course rather than a distance learning one.

Good luck!

FFF
-------------

PA28-161
2nd Oct 2002, 16:37
Know 6 people who would absolutely swear on the brushups!
Am going to do the same thing. SFT used to do it - but I hear good things about Bristol, and they have good stats. Apparently, 90% of their questions come up on the actuals - and this is no sh*t either, as a couple of people I know did it really recently. Essential if you're distance learning. There is absolutely no point in doing distance learning and not doing the brushup - it's like, why do it half measure, the brushup will greatly increase your chances. And it's not like it's a new phenomenon either - I've known of them since I started flying in '98. Chances are U'll find someone who has done them near you.

Dean Johnston
2nd Oct 2002, 16:51
Best thing is talk to Bristol.

Alex Whittingham will tell you all you need to know, give him a ring 01275 474701. Im at Bristol @ monent and find them and there customer service second to none. That last point is a very important one.

D.J.

FlyingForFun
3rd Oct 2002, 07:49
Agree that Bristol are excellent - I've said so many times on other threads on this board.

But what kebabman is suggesting is doing the brush-up before the studying! PA28, I would also swear by the brush-ups, so that's 7 you know now. But only after having studied the course notes. The purpose of the brush-up is to bring the material you've already studied to the front of your mind ready for the exams. It is far too intensive to learn from if you haven't already studied (and understood most of) the course notes.

FFF
--------------