PDA

View Full Version : Bachelor of Science in Aviation

DXman
1st Oct 2002, 00:45
Hi there !

what do you think about a Bachelor of Science in Aviation ? Is it a real positive point to find out a job in the US ? Here is a quick list of the universities I found where you can do that :

- Palo Alto College, Texas. That's an associate degree in which you earn your CPL IR ME CFI...
- (famous) Embry Riddle...
- Utah State Valley College : that's for a distant learning. You can do the flight training in several flight schools in the states
- Jacksonville University : that's a partnership with Comair

And of course, many more I guess.

So, basically, what do you think of that idea ? On the US market is it a real chance to find out a job ? or that's just the way to say you did academics studies :cool: !

I would like to e-mail people who maybe are doing this kind of "studies".....

See ya

Bye!

Tony

mattpilot
1st Oct 2002, 01:14
I "did" an associates of applied science at Spartan School of Aeronautics. I only did 9 months 'cause i couldn't keep up with the ~1500USD a month they charged. A loan would of helped but i couldn't get one as a foreign citizen. Its a pretty expensive school, but one with a pretty good rep, or at least thats what they advertise. Been around since 1923 or so; they also train china airlines pilots.

Anyhow, the general idea by doing this kind of training in this kind of schools is to get an aviation degree which "might" get you a job before a guy who has a regular degree from a Community college. DOes it work? Most say yes. Some say only if your a low time pilot. After you got your first 1000' hours it is "worthless".

FWA NATCA
5th Oct 2002, 15:04
DXman,

Here is a list of FAA approved schools if you would like to become an air traffic controller
College of Aeronautic, Flushing NY
Community College of Beaver County, Beaver Falls, PA
Daniel Webster College, Nashua NH
Dowling College, Oakdale NY
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona FL
Hampton University, Hampton VA
Inter American University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Miami Dade Community College, Miami FL
Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro TN
Mr. San Antonia College, Walnut CA
Purdue University, West Lafayette IN
University of ALaska, Anchorage AK
University of North Dakota, Grand Forks ND
Minneapolis Community & Technical, Eden Prairie MN

Mike

MsSmileee
8th Oct 2002, 03:03
Not sure how helpful the degree is, it's been a while since i was enrolled in a university, but i got my Bachelor of Airway Science degree (4 year) at Ohio University and reccomend it. Most Universities in Ohio offer this 4 year degree. Many of the pilots i fly with now got their degree's at the University of North Dakota . It also seems to be a great program. When i worked for FlightSafety, they offered a correspondence course with Embry Riddle. You fly at FSI and do your degree through Embry Riddle. Not sure how it works, though.

Good Luck :cool:

Skaz
21st Oct 2002, 00:22
Hi guys
I am currently enrolled in a B.Sc. Degree in Professional Aeronautics at Embry-Riddle.
Before I made the decision to do this degree course I emailed many airlines and asked them if they considerit worthwile. Most of them did not reply , but those that did said yes.

It is a correspondence course, since I am living and working in southern africa, and it is expensive as hell. It costs me almost a months salary to do one course at a time. Mostly because of the exchange rate, but still. i do hope it will be worth it, as I intend to immigrate to the states at a later date and looks like most companies and airlines want you to have a degree. Even the ANG and other Federal Agancies wants you to have a degree.

saudipc-9
21st Oct 2002, 13:38
Skaz,
Exactly how did you go about enrolling with ERU? Stuck here in Saudi I don't have alot of access to information besides the internet. It does seem expensive to me.

Skaz
27th Oct 2002, 20:21
HI,

if you want to look into enrolling with ERAU, best you go to the website: www.erau.com

You should be able to get info there on how to go about it. I actually did get in touch with them via the internet a few years back to enroll, but cant remember exactly the procedure to follow.

send me a message with your email, and I'll give you the email address of my contact person at ERAU.

Cheers