PDA

View Full Version : Biafra

ZAZOO
30th Sep 2002, 23:29
I know this is not the place to post this message, forgive me guys I will try to be as brief as possible.

My holiday has finally come to an end and my beautiful Anna is back home in Copenhagen and so I find myself running up and down London trying to get all my shopping done for all my family members, friends, relatives, colleagues and so on, the list is long but this is how it is in Nigeria everybody wants you to bring me something so I try to get something for everyone no matter how small.

I got in late last night, opened a can of beer and swithced on the wings channel, its been a while since I had it on because Anna just could not have it anymore ! okay enough of that lets get to the point.

A program was just starting and it was the story of Jesus Christ Airlines. Although I have a couple of times heard stories from people talking about the mercy flight operations that had been flown into the republic of Biafra during the Nigerian civil war bringing in so much aid and assistance to the suffering people in Biafra especially the children who had turned so bad due to starvation I never understood the scale of this operation and what people had to go through during the war and to be honest with you did not have any interest.
I was born in Lagos about six months after the end of the war and most of the stories I know of the war I got from my dad who worked at Igbobi in Lagos as an MD during the war and they are not nice.
All this changed last night, last night I got a front row seat with the help of the wings channel to see things with my own eyes and listen to all those involved in the flights and how they went about it.

over a thousand flights flown into Ulli and Ugah airstrips and with so much danger involved for the pilots, crew, missionaries and all those involved in the whole operation and at such a large scale.
Watching the program made me feel like ice, I watched with so much emotion the black and white film footage that they had taken during the war in the sixties, the children and the look they had on their faces when those big iron birds turned towards the small bays bringing with them tons of food and medicines parked in their bellies. I also listened to the pilots and their unimaginable stories of what they had to go through to get in the planes and how they had suffered the loss of their colleagues most of them shot down by the Nigerian Migs flown by Egyptian pilots, but still decided to continue because they new their flying down into ulli and ugah made a big difference. And that they did with so much courage, bringing in flights until Biafra was occupied.

They brought in tons of aid and so many of them died, they flew out so many kids to Sao tome for safety with the priests and ooh the face of those kids dancing with so much joy with the priest will forever remain with me. What a night I had after watching all that, I became .........................hmm well lets stop here.

If any of you ever come across this posting I would like to say how grateful we are to you.
I will tell Nigerians about you and what you did for this country. I believe that no story about the civil war in Nigeria will be complete without mentioning you and the magnitude of your life saving efforts for the children of this country, I cant imagine what life would have been without you in Biafra.

You know I have asked myself many times after watching the programe what makes men like you do what you did in Biafra, maybe one day I will find out, who knows maybe if I have the opportunity to meet you, you will tell me why !

Pilots like you will seat with God in paradise with angels wings.

Thankyou so much and God Bless you.

Zazoo

411A
1st Oct 2002, 01:33
Mostly...it was the cash offered for flying in this very dangerous area at the time.
Have/had many friends who flew DC-7's and C-97's and the pay was quite high...for those times anyway. Would have been there myself but the aeroplane (L-1649A, ex-AirFrance machine) was crashed by the chief pilot during crew training in California.
Darn...:mad:

John, I'm only dancin'
1st Oct 2002, 09:03
411A - a very cynical view!

Many of the wonderful people involved in the airlift did so for a higher, arguably more noble reason. I was fortunate enough to be taught in school by a Marist Brother who served some time loading and unloading aircraft during the airlift. He was an amazing man, very modest and motivated to 'make a difference' as he put it.

Money isn't everything - but I'll grant you it helps!

Kegbuster
1st Oct 2002, 11:46
I use to fly with an old flight engineer on a DC6 who told lots of stories of his time flying the Biafra airlift. He flew for a Belgium operator Trans air i belive saying he was glad that he was flying a six not the seven. Because the turbo compounds on the seven lit up the sky on take off showing the Mig pilots shoot here!
There were British pilots also flying for the other side flying the Fields converted DC4 bomber & the Migs.

B767300ER
1st Oct 2002, 16:45
Dreadful, nasty war, to be sure.

I've read many stories about it recently, and it was bloody awful.
https://image.jetnet.aa.com/imageserver45/aa/9_11_feature_header.gif

JW411
2nd Oct 2002, 09:55
Zazoo:

Try and get a copy of "Shadows" by Mike I Draper. I read it last year and it gives a very comprehensive history of the aircraft and crews involved in the Biafran conflict; whether they were flying relief supplies or "gun-running".

I couldn't believe how many familiar names I found within the pages!

ZAZOO
2nd Oct 2002, 13:08
Cheers JW will try to find a copy before I leave friday.

767300ER I tried to mail you !

Zazoo

Flypuppy
2nd Oct 2002, 14:54
This is a link to Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1902109635/qid%3D1033569964/026-4709233-3485269) where you can find the book description. Sadly it is out of print now, but you might be able to get it second hand through Amazon.

I read this book while I was working in PHC, and it all brought the Biafran war right to my front door, literally. I have also visited the National War museum in Umuhaia. If you ever get a chance to visit it, I would thoroughly recommend it.

jetjackel
3rd Oct 2002, 11:09
JW411 is right Zazoo, its the best book on the subject I've ever read. Followed the news releases in the 60's while still in school. Remember being completly fasinated by the effort and the "steel nerves" of the flight crews basically flying "against all odds".

The crews were mercenaries for the most part but reflected the fact that mercenary actions have positive results on occassion.

I own a copy of "Shadows" and consider it a collectors item as its very well done and outlines all aspects of the airlift, with pictures etc. One or two Connies still parked in Sao melting into the ground.

One very depressing note was that there was a cemetary at Ulli maintained by the missionaries for all the people who were killed in crashes at Ulli. After the war ended the Nigerian Government bulldozed the cemetary out of exitence.

Get a copy if you can as its really worth having and reading.

B767300ER
3rd Oct 2002, 15:31
Posted by jetjackel:
"After the war the Nigerian government bulldozed the cemetary out of existence."

The dogs. How dreadfully third-world.

Boss Raptor
5th Oct 2002, 16:34
Many from overseas were also flying aggresively for the government side I understand...

ZAZOO
13th Oct 2002, 18:37
Just got my hands on a copy guys :)

I am back in PHC and while having dinner with my brother inlaw who is a Colonel in the Nigerian Army currently based in the Bakassi Peninsula :( , I mentioned this topic to him, well fortunately for me he told me he had the book and offered to lend it to me if only I would return it to him as soon I was done with it.

Spent the whole evening talking about the war and the Airlift, learned a lot from him too....

Boss when are we going to meet :eek:

Thanks for all your help Guys.

Regards

Zazoo