View Full Version : Fifth Freedom Rights......?

Camel_Cowboy
30th Sep 2002, 19:15
Hi All,

Could someone please break down and explain the meaning of all these 'Freedom Rights'.

I always here about these rights. For example, an airline would like to gain fifth freedom rights in order to fly from KUL to BKK. I just don't really understand what these freedom rights mean.

Could anyone give me a hand with this please?

Cheers

CC:confused:

Nightrider
30th Sep 2002, 20:27
Flights between countries where no open sky policy exist have to be negotiated. The traffic right for i.e. LHR-SYD will be negotiated between Australia and the UK. It is obvious that this will not be possible on a non-stop service. An internediate, so called technical stop, is necessary.
Looking at this stop, there is a good commercial reason to call the technical stop also a destination, offload passengers and load new passengers to the final destination.
But now this is a flight where a third country is involved, by looking at the international laws, this is only the sole right of Australia or the tech stop country.
5th freedom would be acchieved if the tech stop country grants the rights to upload passengers for the reminder of the flight to the intended final destination.
Often these rights are granted on reciprocal terms, also the country granting the rights may not even be in the position to make use of the reciprocal rights because of no airline being in the situation to make use of them.

Camel_Cowboy
30th Sep 2002, 20:47
Thanks for the reply.

Are there such freedom rights as 1st, 2nd...etc?

Cheers

CC

Ringwayman
30th Sep 2002, 22:24
List of the freedoms here (http://www.american-britishairways.com/history/freedoms.htm).