PDA

View Full Version : IE 6 is driving me up the wall forever hitting 'Stop'!

Feneris
30th Sep 2002, 18:18
I'm sure it's just me. I'm doing something stupid.

I had a happy computer running IE5, Win 98 (200mmx, 80mb ram), connecting to the net (pprune mainly) with uk2.net

I joined Freeserve Anytime, fixed costs, which installed IE6. Now, istead of a page appearign on screen a bit at a time, I tend to get nothing for ages, then the whole lot in one go. Problem is when something seems to be taking a while to load, I hit stop, then the page appears, or I then hit 'refresh', and it appears immediatly. There are times it grinds to a total standstill. Hitting stop, refresh sorts it out straight away.

Is there a setting I can change to make it load a bit at a time, like before? Or can I uninstall IE6, and put IE5 back on. Maybe it's not the version, maybe Freeserve did something. I've run out of ideas!

Now if I had a lovely friendly Apple Mac ......... :)

Feneris

INLAK
2nd Oct 2002, 10:04
Don`t worry, it`s not just you! It sounds all too familiar to what I experienced after installing IE6, especially the bit about the page not coming up then appearing as soon as you hit stop or refresh.
I asked about it here, http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49477
but didn`t get much help.

The only soloution I managed to get was to re-install good old IE5, and no problems since!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Eboy
2nd Oct 2002, 20:58
As INLAK says, when in doubt, I reinstall. I don't know the answer to your problem but I have run into the same thing. (Haven't in a while, come to think of it -- did once with a wireless adapter on my computer long ago.) It might have to do with different versions of HTTP software on web servers. HTTP 1.0 would post things on your screen one thing at a time, HTTP 1.1 waits until you have all the elements in your computer before painting the screen. IE5, and IE6 respond differently. There is also an issue with web sites incorrectly sending out a code saying they are HTTP 1.1 when they are really HTTP 1.0, and vice versa, so your browser becomes confused. This is what e-commerce designers have told me in the past. I don't know if these issues are related to this problem.

Feneris
3rd Oct 2002, 17:10
Thanks for the above answers. The old trick of reverting to the previous version has worked. I'm now using IE 5 again, the uninstall of IE 6 (revert to old settings option) worked perfectly.

The internet seems faster too, and no annoying waiting for every last big graphical advert to load, before the screen becomes visible. I'll be sticking with IE5.

F

outofsynch
3rd Oct 2002, 19:12
Anyone else get an error when exiting IE6/win98?

I have considered downgrading to IE5 too; but IE6 does have overiding advantages for me.

Ausatco
6th Oct 2002, 13:55
Until recently I had 56k dialup and the same problem with IE6 as Feneris, but like outofsynch am reluctant to backpedal.

I just installed 128/512k ADSL and things have improved, but it's not totally fixed.

PII, 233MMX, 256mb, Win98SE fully updated.

AA

ohitsmonday
6th Oct 2002, 21:24
Try using Opera, its free from opera.com (with not too intrusive add banner) and seems to be a lot quicker than IE. Have problems with a few sites, but just revert to IE for those.
From my experience it's the browser of choice.

18-Wheeler
7th Oct 2002, 00:45
I concur- Opera is far better in every way.
Version 7 is out soon, should be pretty darn good!