PDA

View Full Version : Min 5 year residency for FEDEX

run
30th Sep 2002, 17:39
Is it only FEDEX that requires you stay in the US for 5 years before applying or does other airlines do the same ?

I am a Danish military pilot that has been stationed in US for the last 3 years with one more year to go. I am married to an American and I was planning on going civilian when my contract is up over here. My dilemma is now should I go back to Denmark and keep my well paid job and wait with applying till the airlines open up again in the US or should I quit my job and get a low paid flying job until thing look better ?
Obviously I have to stay if more Airlines than FEDEX start requiring any amount of occupancy.

MAJIC9
1st Oct 2002, 00:24
Get citizenship (you can 3 years after getting your GC through marriage).. then they should not be able to do much but take in your application :)

run
1st Oct 2002, 01:05
Citizenship doesn't make a difference in Fedex's case. They require that you have resided in the United States for the last five consecutive years (except for U.S. military assignments)

Johnny 7
1st Oct 2002, 15:33
Plus at the moment you can't operate anything over 12,500LBS MTOW unless you are a U.S. citizen .

run
1st Oct 2002, 23:24
Internal Joke ?

What do you mean ? I know several people that are not US citizens that does that.

Johnny 7
2nd Oct 2002, 18:47
Sorry , to clarify that restriction : A non-U.S. citizen cannot train for a type rating on an a/c with a mtow >12,499 LBS , unless already operating such a type prior to , I believe , May'02 . The FAA website details the restriction . There are no exceptions for ' greencard ' or other visa holders . This applies to both synthetic & actual flight training .

run
2nd Oct 2002, 19:19
Still looking for it on the FAA website but I believe you. I guess I am lucky then. I currently/and before May operated operated A/C slightly above the 12,500LBS MTOW. My current one (AT-38) weighs in at just above that when fully fueled and with 6 practise bombs :D I also flew the F-16 before May 02 (Max GW 35,400)

Hope those counts

Could anybody provide a link to this restriction ? I can't seem to find it on FAAs site

Johnny 7
3rd Oct 2002, 16:59
run

I'm not sure your military experience counts - I'm led to believe that you must have been operating a specific type in order to continue to operate that type if the mtow is greater than the above , i.e. no new training . I'm in a similar situation but without the military background & would like to know if this really is temporary or of a permanent nature ?

I've also lost the link to the FAA webpage so would be grateful for any direction or advice .

mutt
3rd Oct 2002, 19:08
Johnny 7,

Would you be so good as to quote a reference for your statement.

Sorry , to clarify that restriction : A non-U.S. citizen cannot train for a type rating on an a/c with a mtow >12,499 LBS , unless already operating such a type prior to , I believe , May'02 .

My understanding of the regulation is that:

a: A person who is presently qualified and current in an aircraft above 12500 lbs may obtain expedited visa approval for training.
b: A person who does not fall into category "A" must go through the whole approval process which is expected to take 45 days.

I have NOT read anything which prohibits foreign nationals from training ONCE they have obtained the required clearance from the Department of Justice.

Run, the regulations changed in June (I think), so do a Pprune search on this topic around that date, you will find some extremely comprehensive discussions.

Mutt.

run
3rd Oct 2002, 21:06
Hi Mutt

You are correct. It is not a problem for a non-U.S. citizen to train for a type rating on an a/c with a mtow >12,499 LBS as long as they get cleared by the Department of Justice. The Department of Justice has a maximum of 45 days (Unless you qualify for expedited processing) to respond to flight schools and if failing to do so the flight school can proceed with training of the non-U.S. Citizen.

RUN

http://www.intl.faa.gov/28cfr105.pdf

mutt
4th Oct 2002, 05:05
Run,

You are correct....... thanks for that, the problem with the DOJ is that you cant approach them for clearance, it must be done through a "designated person" from the flight school. So you are left in a situation where you have to decide which course you want to go on, arrange it with the school and then have the school apply on your behalf.

If you are in Group B and require the full clearance, you should also be aware that you will have to sign away 99% of your civil liberties.

Good Luck

Mutt.

run
4th Oct 2002, 11:24
"If you are in Group B and require the full clearance, you should also be aware that you will have to sign away 99% of your civil liberties. "

Meaning ?

Johnny 7
4th Oct 2002, 16:43
mutt

Thanks for that .

My understanding was based on a discussion with my local FSDO . I was told that based on my current status I would be unable to train on a new type unless I took citizenship . No mention was made of the DOJ background check so it seems I'm only partially in the picture - apologies to run for any distress caused !

run
5th Oct 2002, 01:47
Talk to 3 different FSDOs and get three different answers. It is amazing how different they interpret rules. I actually had to go to a different state to get my military flying converted to a CPL because the FSDOs in one state claimed I couldn't do it and another said I could.
I got the same answer as you when I contacted a FSDO in Dallas, but later found the correct answer myself.

And yes, Johnny 7, you did give me a couple of permanent grey hairs. :)

mutt
5th Oct 2002, 04:48
Things seemed to have settled down following the 1st year anniversary. You can expect further changes to the regulations quite soon, especially in relation to people who dont have a lot of experience.

Unfortunately these changes must come from the DOJ and not the FAA.

Cheers

Mutt.

run
10th Oct 2002, 23:06
Don't pop the champagne yet. I just realised that the 28 CFR Part 105 has not been fully approved/implementet yet and only people that qualify for expedited processing can currently be cleared by DOJ. Non US Citizens with no prior experience on a/c above 12.500 can still not get approved/train. Hopefully this is just a matter of time.
I talked a Washington FAA guy who claimed to know what he was talking about :D

Johnny 7
11th Oct 2002, 15:44
This is basically what I had heard . It's a very frustrating system as the operators don't seem to be aware of the situation & hence , even if there were jobs , are really not very interested . I'm really beginning to wonder if I'm not better off heading back to Europe - the market is more buoyant & less restrictive . Shame because the U.S. is really a great place .