PDA

View Full Version : Flight over London

Roundouthigh
30th Sep 2002, 16:03
If there are any Thames Radar controllers on the forum I would like to ask their advice. I will be taking some friends flying on Saturday in a twin GA -7 Cougar out of Biggin. The callsign is likely to be G-BGSY. They are about to return to Australia so I would like to take them for a flight over London. My question is if we plan to pitch up at about 16.30 local bearing in mind city is closed are we likely to be accepted and is there anything in the centre we are not allowed to fly over e.g. Buckingham Palace. Thanks in advance and thanks also for the service yesterday.

ATCO Two
30th Sep 2002, 16:22
Hi Roundouthigh,

You stand a good chance of flying your detail on Saturday afternoon, provided you don't mind sharing the airspace with pleasure flying helicopters, Helimed, Police helicopters, Classic Wings Rapide, PA34 from Stapleford, and the dreaded "Dome watchers." Also, subject to any last minute special events, photographic surveys etc., etc. Depending on runway configuration at Heathrow you should be able to fly up to a North/South line through Battersea Heliport at 1500ft, and in the City Zone between 1500ft and 2400ft. Suggest you don't fly over any palaces or prisons.

Roundouthigh
30th Sep 2002, 16:28
Dear Atco Two, thanks for that. I will remain clear of any Palaces and Prisons. If we could get north / south over Battersea and then up to 2400 over the city zone I know I and my passengers will be chuffed. I am sure I have spoken to you whilst you are controlling so thanks to you and your colleagues for your FIS/RIS.

Roundouthigh
7th Oct 2002, 16:11
Thames Radar, thanks very much for the service over the weekend. Almost didn't make it when we had a gear problem but a quick change of aircraft and we were airborne again. We had a great flight with two Auusie passengers who were very happy and got some great photos.

What is the policy on visits to the Tower/Thames Radar at Heathrow because if there is a chance I would jump at the opportunity.