PDA

View Full Version : Time for Some Positive Thinking

fireflybob
13th Sep 2001, 20:03
At the moment, none of us can know the impact the events of 11th Sept 2001 will have on our lives, our families, the economy, our countries and the world.

There seems to be much talk about stock markets going into free fall, catastrophic effects on the airline industry, people cutting back drastically on air travel etc.

On an admittedly much different sort of tack perhaps we should recall that it was because of the sinking of the Titanic that countless generations and millions of seafarers have enjoyed a much greater level of protection and safety at sea. Many would regard the sinking of the Titanic as a "failure" but often catastrophic (man made or perhaps in this case lunatic made) events are tragic but almost necessary events on humanity's progress to higher success. They are events which warn us to take care!

The greatest memorial we can build for all the people who have died (or perhaps I should say have been murdered) is to ensure that nothing like this can ever happen again.

In my opinion we must be very careful not to talk ourselves into thinking that mankind will not be able to recover from these events. If you have ever heard of the 80/20 rule you will know that 20% of time/effort should be spent on the problem and 80% on the solution.

Finally, what can we as individuals do?

1. Thank God that you and, hopefully, your family are indirect and not directs victims of these despicable acts.

2. Make a financial contribution to the Red Cross and/or other relief organisations that are aiding the families of the victims of the attack.

3. Respond to the tragedy by recommitting and redirecting your life towards being a better person, doing better things to help more people.

4. Make a "gratitude" list of the things you are grateful for because you live in the free world.

5. Recall what Carl Brand said:-

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending"

Now is the time to take that step.

Finally, I believe it was one of the US Presidents during the depression years who said:-

"The only thing we have to fear now is fear itself."