PDA

View Full Version : Sending attachments

Bus429
30th Sep 2002, 12:21
Help...

I have received a few complaints from recipients of my emails that contain attachments, particularly scanned attachments. Complaints vary from..." it opens up at 400%" to "cannot open attachment". I have tried the following formats: HTML, Rich Text, Microsoft Rich Text and using Word as editor.
Any ideas?

amanoffewwords
30th Sep 2002, 12:41
It would help to know the OS version you are using. And the application - is it just Word you are having problems with, if so which version? Are you just attaching text or pics too? What email client are you using - Outlook, Eudora etc.?

Giz a clue, and read the first post in the forum!

amofw

Bus429
30th Sep 2002, 12:52
Windows XP, Word 2000, Outlook, on an ACER Aspire 1400 laptop. Scans seem to be problem - both text and pics.
Thanks!

RadarContact
30th Sep 2002, 13:10
If you can open and view the scan, so should anybody else. What format are you scanning to? What scanning resolution are you using? Try to avoid scanning directly into an email-attachment.
Save files to HD and check it with your favourite viewer to ensure it's valid. If anything doesn't work from then, it's not on your side of the line.
Images opening at 400% are due to viewer preferences usually...

Bus429
30th Sep 2002, 13:27
I have tried them myself with no problem (sizewise...I've never had a problem sizewise, for that matter!).

The last mail I sent under plain test had an Excel file attached which did not go through in that format but had message relating to winmail.dat and noted as not attached??

spannersatcx
30th Sep 2002, 18:57
If you are viewing at 1152x864 and they are viewing at 640x480 what looks normal on your display will look huge on theirs.

Either reduce the dpi you are scanning at or reduce the size of the pic in a drawing package.

I guess you are scanning text docs and saving them as jpg's if not then you should be some software saves text scans as tiff's which is also used by fax software which can cause a problem.

If scanning text use ocr to convert it to a word document much easier to send.

Hope that helps ;)

stickyb
1st Oct 2002, 18:50
I seem to remember that winmail.dat files used to be produced when one tried to send mail in rtf format from outlook to certain non-microsft mail systems that didn't understand it. I think early versions of Netscape fell foul of this, not sure about current versions.