PDA

View Full Version : funding towards ATPL

mjtibbs
30th Sep 2002, 11:40
Hi, im looking into starting flying lessons and hopefully at the end gain a fATPL/ATPL. I just wondered how most pilots funded themselves throughout thier training as 40-50k is alot of money. Just wondered if anyone could give me any advice.
may be irrelevant but im 19yrs old (20 in nov).

thanks

--Mike

niknak
30th Sep 2002, 19:24
Beg, steal, but mostly borrow.:D

A few lucky ones are funded by parents/relatives, but the vast majority borrow from financial institutions using said parents/relatives as guarantors.

The even luckier ones get a place on a shared sponsership scheme with the airlines.
British European are advertising such positions in this weeks Flight, as were Britannia recently. Basically you have to have a good standard of education (I think at least 2 A -levels in Maths/sciences), a PPL and be under 26.
You invest £15K, they pay for the rest.
IF you make it through, you're then posted as a First Officer on any of the fellt which they consider you worthy of, and are bonded for a period of time. If you leave at any time before the bond expires, you will be liable to repay some, or even all of the course fees.

You should be aware that competition is very stiff and the courses very hard work, that said, it's a great way to get in to the business.

Best of luck.:)