PDA

View Full Version : At Last!! A Pilot Studies Bsc in the UK

bow5
30th Sep 2002, 10:21
From the November 2002 issue of Today's Pilot,

"***** has joined forces with Leeds University to offer a unique degree course for those with an interest in a career in aviation.
The Pilot Studies Bsc is unique in the UK and will provide graduates with the core skills for a career in the airline industry or associated regulatory agencies.
During the second year of the course, 40 hours of flight training will be provided by ****** and students will have the oppertunity to go on and complete their PPL if they wish. This together with other aspects of the course will take place at Leeds/Bradford airport.
The cost of flying is subsidised by the university and it is planned that scholarships will be available in the future.
Graduates will have the oppertunity to continue with Commercial Pilot Training at ****** after completion of their degree."

I think it's about high time something like was done in the UK. It's also good to see it will be a degree from a proper university instead of a tin-pot ex polytechnic passing themselves of as one.

It's also, in a small way perhaps, more good news for the industry, given that scholarships 'may' be available in the furture.

NB. ****** is because I don't want to be accused of advertising or whatever. You'll have to buy the magazine if you can't guess the school.
:D

OldNo.7
30th Sep 2002, 15:33
Having not read the article, I don't hold all the facts. Is this course UCAS approved, and therefore getting your L.E.A. to fork out for the tuition fees is actually an option?

If not then it is nothing new, as I'm sure most of us have seen the City university adverts for their BSc in Air transport operations. Still you need the better end of 70k to afford the tuition fees for the course and a fATPL. So really it's not an option for most people, but if you can afford it, its there.

Excellent to see that I can now hold a BSc in flying a desk;)

Julian
30th Sep 2002, 18:22
The advert is from Todays Pilot.

It states "Graduates will have the oppurtunity to continue with Commercial Pilot Training at *******after completion of their degree"

Well no s***, they can carry on if they get their PPL and dont have a degree like the rest of us! If it isnt funded then cheaper to just go the normal route....

delta 2
1st Oct 2002, 11:23
People are right not to get too excited. You apply for the course via UCAS and you do get a student loan therefore, however on top of tutition fees you have to fork out £2,500 towards your PPL and if you don't live in Leeds accomodation costs. The guy I spoke to on the phone seemed optimistic about future interests from airlines about their graduates, but you can apply to airlines any way, it's a new course and nothing new.
also you don't just spend 3 years learning to be a pilot, the degree you will get is in Avaition technology/pilot studies or Avaition management/pilot studies
self funding is a cheaper, faster option to a career in the skies

bow5
1st Oct 2002, 12:08
......yeah but......

There are an awful lot of qualified pilots out there for not many jobs. If you're 17 and want to be a pilot and are sensible you'll be going to university.

Surely it's better to do an aviation based degree and have your flying costs subsidised? The accomodation argument is a non-starter as all students have it, along with everything else.

Bear this in mind Delta 2, I'm about 99% certain from my experience that airlines don't want to employ people simply to fly planes. They want people who understand the workings of the airline industry and will be looking to go into airline management once their flying career is over, and we all know that only takes one failed medical.

Moderator correct me if i'm wrong, but if you don't understand the above then you'll make a useless Captain.

Much as I hate the guy, Uncle Tony Blair has a point, people in this country are always put things down. :rolleyes: Try being positive for once.

Jet A1
1st Oct 2002, 19:05
Why waste three years in getting a PPL and BSc and forking out a bit of dosh for the privilige of "Pound Pints"? Surely a better option would be to fork out more dosh and head off to Spain and get a FATPL and be graduated within a year and employable ?????

Just my opinion mind you - I bypassed Uni and got a FATPL and think I am very very lucky to be flying 737's rather than a desk. I do appreciate that getting serious dosh for a 509 course is risky to say the least !!!!!

Howski
4th Oct 2002, 15:27
Hello

I have been unable so far to find the Todays Pilot edition with the relevant info,so if anyone could let me know further details please e mail me, I take it that part of the course will be JAR ATPL exams and PPL , but what if you have those , can this course be done by correspondence .

Ta
Howski

[email protected]