PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones

Squawk7777
29th Sep 2002, 23:46
(I guess the computer/internet issues forum is the most appropriate for this "mind-blowing" question) ;)

I know that cell phones (or mobile phones, if you prefer) do not work on the other side of the north atlantic. Europe uses the GSM standart and the states ... some other format. I have seen the next generation cell phones for sale in the US of A and on some it stated "complies with GSM ..." Does that mean that new cellular will work in the US and Europe? I noticed the GSM capability on T-Mobile phones (assuming that is German Telecom).

7 7 7 7

idgas
30th Sep 2002, 08:33
Simply

The USA uses a different GSM frequency, 1900MHZ, compared to 900MHZ & 1800MHZ in other countries (Dual Band).

You need a Tri-Band mobile such as the Ericsson T68, Motorola V66, Nokia 6310.

Cheers, :cool:

katiecorrigan
30th Sep 2002, 11:46
It's the Nokia 6310i that is Tri-band, the 6310 (without the "i") isn't.

KatieC.

M I Icarus
1st Oct 2002, 16:21
And then mind the difference in analogue (mainstream USA) and digital (Europe and some US cities) networks. I know from the reverse side (EU to US) that the tribands only work in the "digital" cities in the US. So your Triband US phone may not work in most of the States.

pilotwolf
2nd Oct 2002, 06:26
My Nokia 6310i is working fine in LA.

Calls locally as if you were using a landline. Text messages fly between here and the UK as quick as if I was in the UK.

Don't seem to be able to call it from a US landline without using the international dialling code and presumably paying international rates?

IFTB
2nd Oct 2002, 12:04
I have a Motorola "Timeport" triband. Works everywhere apart from in Japan and in my street (in the shadow of a mountain).:p :p

Squawk7777
2nd Oct 2002, 14:00
... that brings it to the second question: Billing for calls outside your "home" area.

Is it worth getting a tri-band phone, or are you better off getting a second phone under a local calling plan? (provided that you travel frequently between the US and EU)

Or ... can your phone have two phone numbers/two providers (US & EU)?

7 7 7 7

Crossedcontrols
2nd Oct 2002, 14:19
The GSM phones have a SIM card with all your customer details. If you get a US GSM SIM you can put it in the (triband) mobile when there and keep the UK one for Europe. Some of the UK operators have some deals on international tariffs, but they are all steep. The US GSM is PCS (1900 MHz) also on PCS is TDMA and CDMA, (they are both on 800MHz ‘Cellular’as well). The big operators of TDMA (IS136) such as AT&T are converting over to GSM or 2 and a half G (GSM with GPRS), they will eventually be on the lower frequencies as well.

Or you could get a WIFI phone using Voice over IP no international call charges, and Airports and Hotels will be the first to get coverage.
CC

BayAreaLondoner
2nd Oct 2002, 23:56
Squawk,

T-Mobile have the best international rates of the US GSM carriers both in terms of making international calls from your phone as well as making calls from your phone whilst abroad.
To roam internationally, you will need:
1. A tri-band phone (Ericsson T68, Motorola v60 or v66, Siemens S40, Nokia 8890 [actually dual-band but it would do]) These phones are commonly available in the US market.
2. International roaming needs to be enabled on your account.

Something that might be worth exploring is to get a pre-paid SIM card when you are travelling. For example, I bought a Dutch pre-paid SIM card when I was in the Netherlands recently. This cost me $20 and gave me $5 worth of credit (which could be topped up). The advantage is that calls cost much less since you are no longer roaming. The disadvantage is that your phone has a new (local) number for the duration that the SIM card is in the phone. Note that in order to use any SIM card other than the one provided with your phone, the phone must be "unlocked". T-Mobile and Cingular will do this for you. AT&T have been much more restrictive.

The biggest downside with GSM in the US is coverage. You're fine in metropolitan areas but there's much less coverage in the outside cities and highways.

If you need more info, send me a private message.