PDA

View Full Version : Little red cross instead of picture question.

BRL
29th Sep 2002, 20:47
Hi all. Over the last few months, i have been visiting this site to look at this (http://www.thefriends.freeserve.co.uk/fr_main.htm) web-cam. (Click on web-cam from the menu on the left.) Dead boring i know but i was born and bred within a stones throw of the place and like looking at the web-cam as i live so far away from there now. The problem i am having the last 2 days is instead of getting the picture from the top all i get now is that little square with the little X in the corner. I havn't changed anything at all on my pc or anything like that, this just has happend all of a sudden 2 days ago. Anyone have any idea what it means? What do i have to do to get the picture back? Running win98 on an old system.

Sad, from Brighton. :(

What_does_this_button_do?
29th Sep 2002, 21:07
I would guess that the camera supplying the feed has fallen over (i.e. stopped posting piccies) so the red X means "picture unavailable".

B

BRL
29th Sep 2002, 21:20
Ahhhhhh, ok. Thanks. Does it do the same when you click on the link?

henry crun
29th Sep 2002, 21:48
BRL, you could try right clicking on the picture space, click properties, then copy and paste the url into your browser.

It works for me sometimes.

BRL
29th Sep 2002, 21:52
Hi Henry. Thanks for that. I did try it but it didn't work :(

BlueEagle
29th Sep 2002, 22:55
Could not get any picture at all using all the usual tricks, (right click, show picture etc.), BUT when I "Click for Enlargement" up it comes!:)

amanoffewwords
29th Sep 2002, 23:05
BlueEagle, ...but it shows a date-stamp of September 28th presumably the last time the camera was in service? :confused:

RadarContact
30th Sep 2002, 09:17
Just tried the link and it's working fine for me...

(Nice if somewhat hazy weather)

Fuji-san
30th Sep 2002, 11:01
Works real fine for me.

Nothing from the L.H.side menu, but OK from the script Hyperlink.

Panoramics just come up with the dreaded 'red cross' and 'server not found'

Nice piccy, date stamp & time accurate.

Eboy
30th Sep 2002, 11:30
Works fine for me on a computer running Internet Explorer 6 and Windows 98, as well as my newer Windows 2000 computer.

When all else fails, I reload software.

Nice view!

BRL
30th Sep 2002, 15:12
Thanks all. Its working fine today :)
I think Buttons was right from the start.:cool:

amanoffewwords
30th Sep 2002, 17:10
As a point of interest, there's a link from that website that brings you to this diagram (http://www.wirralcam.com/Leasowe-Cam.jpg) that shows how the system works. You can then follow the links to the manufacturer of the cameras (Camserv (http://www.camserv.com/)) and associated peripherals. Add to that a wireless network and server space/domains etc, it does come cheap.

There are loads more pics here (http://www.wirralcam.com/multipic1.htm) btw.

Cheers
amofw

Tartan Gannet
2nd Oct 2002, 11:50
Works fine for me in all views.

My system:-

768 Mhz Pentium
O/S Win 98SE
128 Mb Ram

Upgrading soon if Dell get their finger out to 2.4 GHz rig.

BTW were in Brighton do you live Big Red L as I lived in Hove off of Kingsway near the Lagoon from 1985 till 1994 inclusive.

TG

IFTB
2nd Oct 2002, 12:01
Can this have something to do with it?
""
PLEASE NOTE:
The lighthouse has been temporarily closed whilst contractors carry out the necessary maintenance to keep the water out! i.e. the pointing and treatment of the exterior of the walls. (This is possible because of the successful £50,000 Heritage Lottery Small Capital Grant application). We hope to be open later in the year, please check back for updates.
""
That's what I get following the link, not a Big Red Cross.

BRL
2nd Oct 2002, 22:10
IFTB What you are seeing when you click the link is the home page for the cam. I don't think its been updated for a while though. If you look at the menu on the left, you will see the link for the webcam. I have just looked at it now and its working ok. Its dark and the lights you see are on the banks of the mersey. They are blurred as the camera is focused on the commanland next to the lighthouse.

TG I live up in the middle of the Hannover area. I think i know where you used to live. I play cricket at Wish road which is not far from where you used to live. :) The Hove end of Western road has changed so much recently. Lots of continental type bars, huge they are all along there now. Still a great place, some brilliant places to eat out in Hove.(Actually) :) Do you get down here much?