PDA

View Full Version : Re: Africa In General

clearsomeland
29th Sep 2002, 00:24
This is only a question, I am a high time pilot, been flying the "Big Iron" for too many years now, from the left seat, right seat, and side saddle. Presently flying 767/757's stateside. I am approaching the bottom side of 40ish close to the top side of 50ish. With all that is occurred lately stateside, ie; airlines going bankrupt, security acting like we, the pilots are the culprits, management asking for givebacks while lining their own pockets etc, I am ready to bail out figurely.

I have done remote strip, semi bush type flying in small a/c back in the 70's in the Carib, Centr. Amer. etc. My first type rating was in a DC-3 - twenty years ago, my last in the 767 and that was 7 years ago. So with this in mind, I am looking for advice on where to go to get back to some real flying. I am not looking for a "heavy job", I am not looking to take another man's job who wants to fly. I am just looking for a place to hang my hat, maybe fly a few boxes around or single pilot with a few pax. Something that at least pays my rent, food and bar bill.

Somewhere that I can "re-discover" the reason I got into this business over 25 years ago. Now before you flame me or say stay put - yes, I have been shot at, (we use to say "shot at and missed - s**t on and hit")yes i have slept in airplanes, on the ground or pallets. Yes I have known shysters that dont want to pay you, and yes I have lived in the 3rd world before. (I use to fly the Andes in the 757 - flown there and lived there)

So after all this - what ever info or advice you can give would be appreciated -

Thanks and best of flying to all of you.

Doudou
29th Sep 2002, 00:51
Greetings
Well, here is my dream, can match wath you want.
Why don't you work a couple of years more, save money (I guess you have a decent pay), buy your own small single airplane, and just go, (I don't know if it's possible, I don't know if how much you are paid, how much you have saved, retirement...), or even, try to open your own aviation buisness, not a big one, just you and your plane.
It's just an idea, but maybe you can figure out something from that.

TomBola
29th Sep 2002, 09:47
There's some good flying in Cameroun, in Twin Otters, into bush strips at the moment. Not sure how they're off for pilots, but if you want to send me a private message I can send you more information.
Tom

BadAndy
30th Sep 2002, 00:57
clearsomeland,

I just took a year off from my airline here in the States and was flying over there, in West Africa. I'm home now (contract's up), but I have a few leads if you want to drop me an email.

Andy