PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

Doudou
28th Sep 2002, 18:14
Hi everybody!
I'm working on my CPL, have about 50h X-C and I was wondering if I'm the only one who has so much problems during his flights.
For my first solo, I've been vectored by the ATC into IMC, cause the controller mistook and thought I was asking ILS clearance (my lack of experience made that I noticed too late that she was vectoring me very bad, till I saw a huge cloud in front of me, first solo, scared to say anything), Last week I had to deviate more than 100NM to avoid a squall line moving toward me while I was coming back, then grounded and waited 4 hours the TS to pass by, and I still had to contourn some other, and today, Radio lost, after 15min turning away from the airport, I could get back one who finally accepted to receive, but the transmission was unreadable.
On the other side, I learned a lot, but I was just wondering if most of people who train have training without problem or if what happen to me is normal.

Freak On A Leash
28th Sep 2002, 19:50
Have you tried those magical words "student pilot" if ATC seems to be speaking a foreign language?No shame in that at all!You can also reject/deny vectors if you see that they`re going to put you in a position where you cannot comply with the VFR minimums.ATC is there as a service to you.
A forced deviation on a solo training flight can be a very good learning experience.A good way to show that you`re able to cope with stress and immediate changes.Of course, maybe your flight planning wasn`t 100% if you got WX deviated on a VFR flight...Convective Sigmet perhaps?
Radio failures are a part of the game.That`s why you should at least have the light gun signals on your kneeboard and know the procedures for the given airport.Had one myself when I had just begun instructing.Did the procedures, got the green light and landed safely.Called the tower, had a talk and everything was ok again.
My best advice is to admit your mistakes (to yourself), then go back and see if you could have done anything differently.A good pilot never stops learning.
;)

N380UA
30th Sep 2002, 05:26
That's 100% normal.:D :D :D