View Full Version : Your opinions appreciated ... CAT's

skysoarer
7th Aug 2001, 02:31
Thats Computer Aptitude Tests, not the furry meowing kind... This topic was made in response to another started by Harry999, regarding CAT's available for download and use on a home computer. This would be similar to in style but completely unlike the existing Compass/Pilapt aptitude tests actually in use.

I did put up a posting a few months back regarding "Anyone interested in a compass-type test program?"; I got one reply. I had been considering writing one in Java...

But this gave me time to think about it and I thought... The test(s) is meant to check for natural aptitude and any prior practice for those kinds of tests would bias the result, especially if the tests were the same/very similar.

-- Then again, if the test were to be done once/twice without practice and the program gave a result along with marks from other people you could get an idea of your ability compared to others without forking out for the test fee... HOWEVER for the money involved, doing the actual test would be far more worthwhile.

Flying experience above 150hrs does apparently bias the result anyway, but preparing to falsely do very well at a specific aptitude test is only kidding yourself so its use would have to be minimal.

If enough people think there is a need let me know via my email address or post here and I'll write one in Java ... for the net maybe.

THEREFORE, I'd appreciate any views on this subject. I look forward to any responses.

SS

Eno
7th Aug 2001, 03:55
If the point of the tests is to check for natural apptitude, I can't see that any amount of practice could alter the result-ie you have it or you don't. I could see such a program being a help but only so far as knowing what to expect and helping the candidate to relax, I don't think you could alter the result to any noticable extent no matter how much you practice.

I for one would welcome it, and can't see it being any harm, but someone like WWW would be able to give you definitive answers-he seems to know all about this type of thing.

Eno

skysoarer
8th Aug 2001, 02:45
Thanks for your reply Eno. I still think preparing/practicing for these kinds of tests could influence the result. i.e. if someone made a clone Compass test, you would obviously do very well when you sat the real one.

The idea is to see how well you do given little previous exercising of those mental abilities ... i.e. natural unbiased ability. Practicing for them specifically will give you a false indication of how you'll perform when learning further skills during a pilots course.

However, just for testing yourself I think there is a need for home versions; the RAF obviously thinks so. I shall give it a go when there is time, but I'm a lot busier now than I was 24hrs ago when I posted it!

SS

Harry999
8th Aug 2001, 14:10
Skysoarer I'd love to try any program you might write. I agree that it might bias the result in the respect that it might not give as true a picture of your aptitude in this area but it does show something else - that is initiative and motivation for the job. Since there is no rule against such use of programs and everyone is entitled to further their chances of aquiring the job why weaken your position by not practising for aptitude tests?

skysoarer
11th Aug 2001, 03:45
hmmm... I'll see if I can devise some tests that are different than those actually used but require similar skills. I'm pretty sure it'd end up in Java if I did write it. At the minute what I'm lacking is time and Inspiration!

SS