PDA

View Full Version : one way fares

MarkD
27th Sep 2002, 21:43
does anyone know why "full fare" airlines are still getting away with so called "one way fares" that aren't?

If you book a Ryanair return ticket, and then change your mind for one way, the sector is the same price as a return [credit card charge same as return, but thats £2]

If you do the same with Aer Lingus, a E69 sector turns into a E222 sector!!!

When is a stop going to be put to this? And what is to stop you simply not turning up for the return sector - do you get blacklisted or something?

Hand Solo
28th Sep 2002, 02:25
Well just don't turn up for the return leg! What I want to know is when will the low cost airlines be exposed for their cheap 'one-way' tickets only to charge 3 or 4 times if you actually want to return? Some people are never happy. Just how far will you get in a Dublin taxi for E69?

MarkD
30th Sep 2002, 11:23
Hand

if I book FR for 60 euro each way but then decide - actually I don't want to return, I'll book when I get over there or whatever, I pay 60 euro for my one way ticket. [okay there is the 4 euro CC charge or whatever, but that's a small thing compared to...

if I am booking my 99 euro "each way" return to DUB-JFK - admittedly a steal[flyaerlingus.com], this turns into 715 Euro if I book one way only DUB-JFK on the same day and sector that costs 99 return!

If there is no punishment for not turning up for your return flight, why would anyone ever pay a "full-service" one way fare?

cargosales
30th Sep 2002, 13:14
MarkD

They will get away with it as long as we let them. Or don't, which is why the low cost airlines are cleaning up in Europe. And good on them for doing so. But many of the airlines and certain of their employees are still so incredibly arrogant and intransigent that there is some way to go yet.

You and I both know that we don't always return from the same airport we flew out to. Or that we might not know our return date when we fly out. But it hasn't occured to these dinosaurs who want to penalise us for doing so. See the 'if airlines sold paint' thread for more!!!

In fact, despite the cheap and silly digs from some of 'the big boys' the LCAs are great. Actually missed a Buzz flight due to an accident on the motorway and arrived at the airport after the flight had departed. They still let me change my very cheap ticket onto a later flight for a nominal sum :D

CS

MarkD
30th Sep 2002, 14:08
cargosales

agree wholeheartly.

I missed my FR ex Treviso - gate closed no way Jose. [and if I was sitting on the plane, I would have said quite right too, as am frequently waiting for late w*nkers on EI flights at EICK.]

I was very cashstrapped but luckily met a mate who was on the evening flight. Managed to rearrange both Treviso - Stansted and an early AM Stansted-Cork for £25 each sector.

FR aren't perfect, but as writer/techie Jerry Pournelle puts it, sometimes they're "good enough".

EI, BA, AC need to cut the crap on fares as one day some bright spark is going to figure out how to do low fare scheduled longhaul properly and then the fat's going to be in the fire.

I'm emigrating next year to the Land of the Great Hot Beavertail and don't want to pay four figures for the privilege of flying one way, so it looks like I'll have to be a naughty boy!

PAXboy
30th Sep 2002, 22:33
Just a word for the folks who might be new to this ...
the reason that people are saying, "... so I just don't show up for the return sector." is this:

If you fail to show for the OUTBOUND leg of a return ticket, the INBOUND leg will automatically be cancelled. So, you must use the first leg and throw away the second, you cannot do it the other way around.
:rolleyes:

cargosales
1st Oct 2002, 08:30
PAXboy

Is that 'without fail, tough on you' kind of cancelled? or just that the system does it automatically because it can't distinguish between genuine reason no-shows and those trying to beat the system?

What if you missed your outbound for some perfectly good reason?

CS

PAXboy
1st Oct 2002, 12:47
CS, as far as I know it is a standard and automatic cancellation of ANY ticket.

If you have a full price ticket, be it Y or C, you can cancel with impunity up to the moment that the check-in desk closes. If you have any kind of discounted ticket that has restrictions printed on it (on in the accompanying e-mail if it is an E-Ticket) then failure to check in for the first sector will cause the rest of the sectors to be closed.

However, I should be very glad to hear from anyone that works in ticketing/customer services/check-in to give more information.

There is a good chance, of course, that carriers have their own rules.

bealine
1st Oct 2002, 17:09
Yep! I can confirm that with any reservations system, failing to show for ANY sector for ANY reason will automatically cancel all remaining sectors. If the reason for the "no show" is genuine, the reservations agent is empowered to re-instate the original itinerary (although on busy routes, you may lose your "OK confirmed" status and have to "Waitlist").

It is not arrogance or blind stupidity - there is very often a fare re-calculation involved and, as the "Big Boys" are bound by IATA agreements (which cover YOUR a*s if one of us "Big Boys" goes bust!), we are duty bound to apply the fare rules quite rigidly!