PDA

View Full Version : Trident Flightdeck.

27th Sep 2002, 18:27
Can anyone tell me about the moving chart in the centre of the instrument panel. I believe it was called a Doppler Map, but what was it's function, when was it used etc?

forget
27th Sep 2002, 19:01
It was a mechanically driven paper roller map with position derived from the (marine) Decca Navigator Chain. I seem to remember it was called Dectrac or something like that.

LowNSlow
28th Sep 2002, 06:43
Compare that to the nav display in a 737-800.

How far we've come in such a short time.

Hew Jampton
28th Sep 2002, 15:32
It also used a Doppler system to show drift, track, G/S etc. Four radio beams aimed diagonally down.

30th Sep 2002, 18:20
Thanks for the replies, folks.

Regards,

Final 3 Greens
3rd Oct 2002, 10:05
LnS

You're right, but what vision to think of the concept of a moving map long before modern technlogy was available.

The Trident design team must have had some good guys in it.

twistedenginestarter
3rd Oct 2002, 22:55
You're right, but what vision to think of the concept of a moving map long before modern technlogy was available

Before the Trident's doppler (which I think was from Decca actually) we already had similar moving map navigators using the Decca system.

The problem with both of these is everybody had to use VOR so there was no point. Doppler also is no good across water and this was about the time accurate INS was arriving on the scene to wipe the floor with all the opposition.

Spot 4
4th Oct 2002, 06:23
First generation TANS (Tactical air navigation system) used Decca and Dopplar for its information. The presentation was a lot more pleasing to the eye then reading 3 clocks and cross refering to a chart from hell, but the accuracy therin remained the same until the advent of GPS. (Which the RNS252 a TANS descendent now employs)

Using the TANS in Central America where Decca was not available was a bummer, but it did sharpen up your time and distance calcs, as skill somewhat lost these days.