PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe CPU USAGE

BLUE SKY THINKER
27th Sep 2002, 16:11
I have a feeling some reference to this has come up before, but recall no conclusion.

Can anyone suggest why, of the dozens of sites I view daily PPRuNe is the only one where, within 10-20 seconds of each page loading, CPU usage - as indicated by Windows Task Manager - rockets up to 100% and stays there until the selection of another link?

:confused: Curious.

katiecorrigan
27th Sep 2002, 18:24
How utterly bizarre! :eek:

Me and HWMBO have just noticed exactly the same thing happening to us on both of our PCs.

It really is only on PPRuNe, despite watching the CPU usage when visiting other bulletin boards. Did wonder if it might be something to do with the banner ads, as most of the other BBs visited don't have as many. Can't think of any other reason.

KatieC.

amanoffewwords
27th Sep 2002, 19:26
What browser flavour are you using, and do you have any firewall s/w installed.

I noticed that on occasions loading pprune kicks in a component of Norton Internet Security - put the CPU usage reverts back to normal from 100 after a few seconds. That happens especially with Netscape for some reason.

Be :)

BLUE SKY THINKER
27th Sep 2002, 20:26
katiecorrigan.....ahhh; I'm glad it's not just me!

amanoffewwords.....I.E.6/Norton Internet Security 2002

Evo
27th Sep 2002, 20:32
Yeah, I've seen it - posted about it a while ago. It's Norton, specifically the SYMPROXYSVC.EXE process. Never seen any other site trigger this, but Symantec's knowledge base claims it is a problem that was fixed some time ago. Symantec's Desktop Firewall doesn't do it.

FWIW, the system is XP/Pro with NIS2002, both bang up to date. IE6, but seen it with IE5, 5.5 and Netscape (forget which version).

:confused: too

BLUE SKY THINKER
27th Sep 2002, 21:03
Evo.....Interesting. Likewise XP/Pro, plus previously mentioned, all up to date.

Have just experimented with disabling the firewall and that does seem to cure it, although obviously not a satisfactory remedy.

Puzzling; along with the added irritant of an intermittentlly roaring cooling fan, trying to "hose down" the CPU when viewing PPRuNe.

Evo
27th Sep 2002, 21:09
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53842&highlight=SYMPROXYSVC was when I last saw it. Dumped NIS for SDF since then, so problem free :)

What_does_this_button_do?
28th Sep 2002, 09:38
I am guessing that this is being triggered by the adverts. The main banner changes every x seconds and this is performed by java/metatag....

katiecorrigan
29th Sep 2002, 20:48
XP Home and Norton Internet Security 2002 on both PCs.

What frustrates me is that if Norton know about this problem, why they don't provide a fix. It's the same as with Windows Messenger. Quite often on XP two Messenger icons will be displayed in the system tray. Doesn't stop Messenger working but if you move the cursor over one of the icons it will disappear and leave just one. Norton claim to know about this and have done for months yet no info about a fix.

KatieC.