View Full Version : BMI Baby launch new East Midlands (EMA) - Cork (ORK) route

Simon Lumley
27th Sep 2002, 12:30
Hi Folks!

From 27th October, bmi baby will launch a daily evening sevice from East Midlands to Cork, initially using a Fokker 100 but may increase to the 131-seater Boeing 737-500 in time for Easter 2003.

I've forgotten the exact flight timings but it departs at 18:20 from East Midlands and I think it gets back into EMA for 20:55.

BMI Baby will also increase its Salzburg and Toulouse flights from once a week on the weekends to 3x weekly. However, Prague services will be cut down from daily to 5x weekly to allow these routes to expand.

Jersey will grow significantly from 2x weekly in the weekends in the winter to daily and 'W' to Cardiff to allow them to have a daily service. It will be operated by a Fokker 100.

EMA times are: Depart EMA: 08:00; Arrive EMA: 13:00.

With these increases in flights, a ninth aircraft will now be based at EMA throughout the winter 2002/3 season with a mixture of Fokker 100s (106 seats); Boeing 737-500s (131 seats) and Boeing 737-300s (148 seats).

Cheers.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

moleslayer
27th Sep 2002, 15:54
Yes, yes, that's all very well, but have they persuaded any pilots to go up there and fly the aircraft yet ?

My little friend at LHR says there hasn't exactly been a stampede to fly the 'baby' Boeings.

More agressive inducement techniques required methinks.

i.e. MORE MUNNY :D

P.Pilcher
28th Sep 2002, 14:28
I doubt it under today's conditions. If they are anything like the last company I worked for it will be: " Oh by the way, the job you had at Heathrow has just been moved to East Midlands. If you want to continue working for the company, you report at EMA at 09.00 tomorrow!" The usual trick is not to write and tell you, they just change your roster. When you notice that your base has changed on your roster and complain, the above is the reaction.

I hope that in your case I am joking.

karaoke
28th Sep 2002, 15:50
Sadly Mr.Pilcher your remarks are likely to be much closer to the truth than you might imagine.
My understanding is that letters were sent out last Friday, quite what the contents were, we have to wait and see.
The best guess, and it's only a guess, is that those at the arse end of the seniority list will be offered a 'baby' job or the old 'Heave Ho'. Take it or leave it. :eek:

Ian Farquharson
28th Sep 2002, 19:07
In a press release a few days ago it was announced that BmiBaby will be operating of Birmingham this Winter with a weekly Tolouse flight.

Ian

BryanC123
30th Sep 2002, 14:03
Whats going on in Toulose that we dont know about. First, BMIR start a route from MAN on the EMB and now baby rumoured out of BHX. Somethings defo going on and I intend to fly there and see................:rolleyes:

Hogg
30th Sep 2002, 14:58
Bryan Report Back, Good Luck on ure Travels/Expedition :p

Ringwayman
30th Sep 2002, 18:25
BryanC123, as alluded to by Ian, bmibaby are at BHX. One of the press releases on bmibaby website (http://www.bmibaby.com) says:

More great news is that bmibaby aircraft will, for the first time, be operating out of Birmingham International Airport to Toulouse when a major ski operator will be chartering our aircraft to offer a programme to this destination for the winter season
So, it's not a scheduled service.

Thomas Cook Airlines
30th Sep 2002, 18:55
So they will be using the Fokkers, the Boeing 737-300 and the 737-500!
Dodgy using so many types.
Will they be painted up in baby colors by the end of the year?

lambchopboy
30th Sep 2002, 19:15
thats a shame about BMIBaby's route BHX-TLS being a charter flight....that would have made '3' airlines flying the route....popular out of BHX heh?
...and with Baby flying the EMA route...well the midlands airports are looking a whole lot better aren't they?

i think the answer you're looking for peeps is 'yes'..

...onwards and upwards...scheduled and CHARTER flights!:D :) :o

dundoniandean
30th Sep 2002, 21:32
Could hit Aer Arann Express' new ORK/BHX (not to mention BE's BHX/ORK) quite badly if baby do EMA/ORK.

Electric Sky
1st Oct 2002, 14:26
Hang on .. last I knew was that the remaining bmi Fokkers
were going to LHR .... has this changed?

It seems Madrid has been scrapped in favour of Cork due
to lack of landing slots avail at the Spanish airport.

ES ;)