PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

skint Boy
26th Sep 2002, 16:21
Can anyone help as to where to start? I'm 24 and work in London. Got pushed into the old rat race and hate it! Did the usual of applying to the RAF before uni and got refused (just out on the eyesight thing!) and then ended up going to uni and started work in an office (the supposed right thing to do!) Doing the class one medical in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed. The thing which worries me is that I have not got a ppl and little flying experiance although have wanted to do it since god was a boy etc etc and also I dont have the best A-levels and not in maths or physics. Have got a business/law degree and I'm chartered in the profession I do but is that enough to get sponsorship? I know things aren't at there best at the mo and I'm going to carry on saving for my ppl....but where do you go when Britannia turn round and ask for no flying experiance but 3 a-levels in maths physics and chemistry?

Any ideas ... much appreciated

Tim_Q
30th Sep 2002, 11:48
Frustrating, ain't it! :mad:
Can't really rely too much on sponsorship though, particularly at the moment. Even at the best of times the competion is so fierce....save up, get airborne! You can't wait around hoping to get a sponsorship deal, not daring to fly in case you log too many hours for the requirement!!...well, that's my opinion anyway.
SH

Bleep
30th Sep 2002, 12:48
They didn't ask for "..... no flying experience" !?

skint Boy
1st Oct 2002, 09:30
RE- Flying experience:well up to thirty hours anyway

Got to get to the US and do that PPL!!!

Cheers for your thoughts though

Elvis21
1st Oct 2002, 14:29
Skint Boy,

The sad fact is is that there are literally thousands of people out there in the same position as you. City job, want to fly, low/no hours.
Guys like this are way down the food chain and only when the other few thousand better qualified pilots have a job will the rest get a look in.
Get som eflying experience and pray. Brittania nad the others could ask for what ever they like and they will still manage to get people.

skint Boy
1st Oct 2002, 15:05
Knew this was the case.....I take it with the a-level thing...you dont stand a chance with 2 low grade a-levels which aren't in maths/science. Suppose you really have to go out and do the right ones and get bloody good grades?

With a PPL and class 1 medical, do your chances significantly change?