PDA

View Full Version : Unsafe Attachment in Outlook Express

Cleared_to
26th Sep 2002, 15:46
Lately all my attachments have been grayed out, can't open them and Outlook Exp. tells me their unsafe. What can I do? :(

allthatglitters
26th Sep 2002, 16:36
Today, once again, an attachment arrived to OE6, and the Open or Save attachment was greyed out, BUT no warning message. Previously I sent these items to a Hotmail account, and opened them from there, but when I selected Forward, the file became accessible, double clicking the file opened it.

amanoffewwords
26th Sep 2002, 16:44
Try this...

Tools --> Options --> Security --> Uncheck fourth option (do not allow attachments to be saved etc.)

HTH
amofw

Cleared_to
26th Sep 2002, 19:09
Thanks, that did the trick. No idea how it was selected though.

amanoffewwords
26th Sep 2002, 22:03
It is part of a security update for Outlook - you might have got it via a Windows Update component or service release.

It annoys me that MS takes it upon themselves to screw up everybody's settings though, after all the user should choose.

Cheers

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Sep 2002, 19:50
It annoys me that MS takes it upon themselves to screw up everybody's settings though, after all the user should choose.

Can't win, though, can they? If they leave all the security turned off by default they get slagged off for leaving the poor ickle punters wide open to viruses.

amanoffewwords
27th Sep 2002, 19:57
Gertrude, I agree with your statement with respect to the more obscure back-door loopholes that crop up every so often, but disabling access to attachments is bit over the top in my opinion.

It would have been better if they had introduced a pop-up message of some sort, say on first use of OE after the update, to give the user a choice. They do that with IE (e.g. auto-complete, secure sites, privacy stuff etc. , so why not with OE?). :confused: