PDA

View Full Version : Is it true?

Select Zone Five
26th Sep 2002, 14:58
Is it true that BA aircraft log a much wider range of systems information than any other airline in the world? I had the idea in my head that BA run detailed diagnostics following each flight to get a better idea of how each system in the a/c is functioning?

Not sure if I dreamed it?

BlueEagle
26th Sep 2002, 21:49
Don't think you will find such a system is exclusive to BA. I know, for instance, that the B747 fleet of SIA has continuous monitoring of a very large number of systems parameters and performance and the information is automatically downloaded to Changi without any pilot input, (probably true of the A340 and B777 fleets also).

I am guessing that the majority of modern aircraft could have that capability and the major carriers will need it to stay ahead of the game and be able to forecast unscheduled maintenance, among other things.

ICT_SLB
27th Sep 2002, 04:57
Even Regional Jets and some biz jets have the same 88 parameter FDRs as the big boys. They also track faults via the Maintenance Diagnostic Computer (MDC) which can be downloaded to a disk or checked by a tech on the MFD.

Air Canada (amongst many) has long had ACARS functions to look at performance & snags "on the wing". DGAC pays French airlines to carry an "Enhanced Quick Access Recorder" that dumps all the FDR data onto a CD-ROM.

Several of the major airlines practice FOQA - Flight Operations Quality Assurance - mining data from the FDR that shows up potential equipment faults, pilot performance (only via the gatekeeper) and even bad approach & ATC procedures! Good news is that there is an FAA Notice that FOQA data will not be useable for prosecution in the USA similarly any other information given in confidence.