PDA

View Full Version : Allowing your 1st Class Med. to lapse while studying ATPL

Mintflavour
26th Sep 2002, 14:30
Please could someone tell me what the consequences are if you allow your First class medical to lapse, if it is allowed?

As I am currently studying for my ATPL theoretical (modular distance) and my 1st class annual renewal is just around the corner. As I will not be starting my CPL for a good 6 months yet, can I let it lapse and just get it renewed before I start training. I have a current class 2 medical also which is valid for another 3 years, so I can still bumble about in a GA fashion.

Any info on this much appreciated. I have tried this question in the Medical forum but no response so hopefully someone might know here.

Yours

Mint

VFE
26th Sep 2002, 15:18
I believe the class one is good for 2 years without renewal. At least *I think* that is what my AME told me a couple of months ago.

Best thing to do is call your local AME - a list is available on the CAA website.

VFE.

Dean Johnston
26th Sep 2002, 15:19
Hi,

I let my class 1 medical lapse for 18 months, simply due to studying and putting flying on the back burner. I was told it can lapse for 2 years before you have to have another initial.

however you could visit my AME @

www.aviationmedicalexaminer.co.uk

This chap flys out of my club, hes a real nice bloke.

Please post your findings as mine is up for renewal again.

D.J.

Whirlybird
26th Sep 2002, 18:23
Yes guys, it's absolutely fine. I got my initial Class 1 before starting the CPL ground exams, just to make sure I could get one. I let it lapse for about a year, and had to get it back before I could apply for my CPL(H). I did that through my AME; no problem at all. I'm now flying on a class 2 again, as I haven't got a job yet. I'm not certain how long you can let it lapse for, but I'm about to check that out in the next month or so when I renew my Class 2.

Captain Airclues
27th Sep 2002, 19:42
"your class one is valid for the privileges and validities of a class two."

zerouali is correct except for one minor, but very important fact. For the above statement to be true, the certificate must have printed on it the following statement; "A class 1 medical certificate is acceptable for class 2 privileges and validities", above the expiry dates.
If your certificate does not have this statement then go to see your AME, who will put a little sticker on your certificate.

Airclues

Bleep
29th Sep 2002, 11:15
In case it's of interest, I have let my class 1 lapse by 2 and a half years now (!). Just got in touch with CAA Med's and they stated that I can get this renewed with a local AME - I do not have to attend Gatwick again. Phew.