PDA

View Full Version : Dating at work?

tottyhighflyer
26th Sep 2002, 13:27
Has anyone been reprimanded or had problems dating fellow employees? I have just got together with a crewing officer, which I know could be potentially dangerous being cabin crew! Galley radio will no doubt broadcast a news flash to everyone but could the company cause me problems?

kenoco
26th Sep 2002, 14:37
hello hello,eh yes,OK I know I'm goin on again about Qatar Airways but my friends who have the misfortune to work there(they are trying to get out)have ALL had a lot of trouble for inter-crew dating.God forbid inQatar that you should have a liason with one of your crew mates,if the CEO,AkbarAlBaker gets wind of it he will totally interfere and it has been known that on many an occasion,that if the couple refuse to break up you will be either demoted,YES demoted,or worse(depending on how you look at it),given the sack,yep told to pack yer bags,I kid you not.So there is a lot of creeping around in the dark in crappy Doha,sssshhhhhh.

A300Man
26th Sep 2002, 14:45
Sadly what Kenoco said above is somewhat true. However, it may be a little understandable in this part of the world (Middle East) where certain things are frowned upon, especially if it involves Islamic female crew...........?

However, wouldn't have thought it a problem back in the UK (are you in the UK), where its a free world. Isn't it?

Tiger
26th Sep 2002, 16:07
The company, if professional should separate the differences between work and play, and the same for the pair of you. I have dated someone at work and personally never recommend it. When it goes tits up the mess and heart-ace afterward was the worse thing I ever have experienced. It didn`t just go away and there seemed zero escape.
As your other half is in crewing they need to see you as just another crew member and not favour you in anyways, perhaps passing dealings with you to another crewing person. Remembering of course if things do go tits up life for you could be painful with work load type of work etc.
I`m sorry to paint may be a negative view when you are probably happy and I hope it work out well for you.

The company probably won`t care providing a professional relationship and work ethics are maintained. If your given "favours" should we say and other crew member complain then perhaps the company will get involved.

Good luck hope all works out for you!:)

qfcabin
27th Sep 2002, 03:12
There are some hundreds of cabin crew either married to each other or in partner relationships in QF..not an issue and has not been for at least the past twenty years or more!

SydGirl
27th Sep 2002, 03:39
A very wise friend of mine once told me "Don't poo in your own nest". (Though he used a stronger word than 'poo'!)

Having said that, in my opinion if you want to date a work colleague, be discreet about it and just remember the consequences if it all goes belly up.

SG
:)

tottyhighflyer
27th Sep 2002, 09:35
Thanks for all the advice! Not planning on pooing on him or his nest (of coffee tables) not really my style. I really like him though and I'm sure it'll be ok, I was just interested to see if others had experienced problems. If he has to call me out for a SSH or VDA then I appreciate that's his job and I'll still give him the abuse I give the other crewing officers. Anyway hopefully the company are slightly more professional and as you rightly said there are thousands of crew/flight deck relationships where the company know and the wife doesn't! Thanks again. :D

mutt
28th Sep 2002, 14:26
Sadly what Kenoco said above is somewhat true. However, it may be a little understandable in this part of the world (Middle East) where certain things are frowned upon, especially if it involves Islamic female crew...........?

Please only talk about your own little piece of desert, in this part, dating FA's is a way of life regardless of religion! The company certainly doesnt pass any comments about it.

Mutt.

kenoco
28th Sep 2002, 14:59
Thanks Mutt,exactly religion should have no bearing on a relationship,A300Man is a bit pro Qatar Airways,and really inQR its not the religion its the CEO he objects to everything civilised that "his" crew try and do.The gestapo comes to mind again.Also I have friends inEK and the CEO there dosn't care a damn what goes on off duty and as far as I know UAE is an Islamic country???Take care Mutt.

qfcabin
1st Oct 2002, 04:27
Discreet Chucker??You mean they have to keep their hands off each other in front of you? Move into the new century mate!

cino2go
1st Oct 2002, 11:19
Always follow the golden rule regardless of inductry

Don't do the honey where you make the money!

AOG007
4th Oct 2002, 03:06
Very Interesting reading this post.

My previous company was full of married couples, courting couples, and people playing around.

Divorce from one Cabin Crew member, the following week shacked up with another.

Regardless of where people were employed, ie, engineering, operations, crewing, flight crew, cabin crew, or office staff.

My Airline was great fun! Always guessing who was with who, or who we thought they wanted to be with!

My current partner is another successful story from that company, and we are now both employed in the same office in the Middle East.

So my advice, take it easy, but just avoid having to talk work with your partner. Other cabin crew will throw a lot of s**t if they think you are getting favours!

Labarynth Seal
4th Oct 2002, 03:41
Phewwww[B]

Wow, you guys and lassies have it hard!! Must be difficult earning a hard days crust, trying not to break a nail and trying to please your crew ......hmmmmmm :D

Let alone kep your eye on the passengers :mad:

Why don't you become a crew member, instead of a winger and then the tables will be turned and you can get away with it more easy?

You are not in the forces now, and unless you are married, what the **** is the problem. You date a guy or a gal, then thats great, If it is murder then move on, unless you are that useless you can't move!!

Try serving tea in a chopper that is yawing like *******, seem like a challenge.....yeah I thought so!

Plank masters.........hmmmmmmmmmm :mad: :mad:

Rwy in Sight
4th Oct 2002, 09:48
Hello alll

SydGirl

I loved your comments about thinks going belly up in a relations since all relations are going belly up sooner or later - unless somenoe has a lot of power over the other partner.

Rwy in sight

kenoco
4th Oct 2002, 11:27
what kind of cabin crew actually work in a "chopper"????just curious.

Tarantella
14th Oct 2002, 01:38
Couples in the workplace are par for the course at QF.
Nobody even thinks twice about it.
I must admit -I rarely meet people outside the industry - just due to the kind of hours I work, so I'd be severely limiting my options if I excluded people I work with. ;)
Mind you - talking about work ad nauseum, gets a little boring, but most of us have other topics of conversation....
Don't we?.....well... um... :D

lara_croft
17th Oct 2002, 10:00
There's nothing wrong with relationships at work. Just stay away from the tech crew, they're bad news!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Tarantella
18th Oct 2002, 09:15
...and wouldn't we be screaming if a Techie came on this forum
and made derogatory comments about dating Hosties. :(
My advice is: Take people as you find them, whatever their Profession.
If we expect people to be respectful of our choice of career...:cool:

flapsforty
18th Oct 2002, 10:11
Taran the Wise once again you state a plain truth. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumbs.gif
Do unto others and all that...........................

kenoco
18th Oct 2002, 18:30
Dead right Tarantula,so what if a hostie dates a pilot,or a Techie or anyone else for that matter,its 2002 right???Have fun I say.