PDA

View Full Version : ATC Recruitment

BUMFISH
26th Sep 2002, 05:56
I have just noticed on the AirServices Website that a Recruitment Program for Air Traffic Controllers has just been completed. I won't be finishing uni until this time next year :( , but out of interest does anybody happen to know how often these Programs are conducted?

Yours,
BUMFISH....

No Further Requirements
27th Sep 2002, 03:26
Fish,
AsA will most likely be recruiting for the next few years periodically. They need heaps of controllers as about 30% (or more I hear) are up for retirement in the next 5 years and they are losing many people to EuroControl, NavCanada etc. Keep an eye on the website. Pay is not terrific to start with, but long term it is reasonable. There are a lot of issues at the moment with management and pay. Have a look at http://www.civilair.asn.au for the latest on these points.

Another place to look if you are looking for ATC with a bit of difference is the RAAF. You do the same type of thing, the pay is a bit less, you get to do military training and and go on excercises. The civil qualifications you get are not that flash, but I believe that will be changing in May with the new Civil Air Regs.

Good luck. Cheers,

NFR.

Knackers
27th Sep 2002, 23:07
Hi Bumfish,

ASA has an ongoing recruitment program for the next few years due to the skewed age profile of the current crop of controllers. Several courses will be recruited each year.

Ab initios are selected for either the Enroute or Tower/TMA steam. Some shorter courses will be run for returning expatriots/ex-RAAF/foreign controllers. All recruiting is done online.

If you don't succeed initially, try again because quite a few get through on their second or third attempts - perservere!

stormywx
28th Sep 2002, 10:39
If you don't succeed initially, try again because quite a few get through on their second or third attempts - perservere!

You are only allowed 2 attempts at ATC testing, so no-one gets in on their 3rd attempt as there isnt one!

stormy

BUMFISH
29th Sep 2002, 06:00
Thanks for all the replies guys.. I will have to check the Net every week or two...:)

Ta muchly....