PDA

View Full Version : Anyone starting/ed at BGS soon?

OBK!
25th Sep 2002, 21:33
I just ordered module 1 today, they said it arrives tomorow...

Anyone else on the same boat? Just asking so that we could become cyber study buddies! :D

Poontang Luva
26th Sep 2002, 06:01
Yup. Got module 1 a couple weeks ago but won't start earnestly until the week after next.

Good Luck ;)

OBK!
26th Sep 2002, 15:43
You know that frame plan...for module 1...I was thinking of taking each Frame to be one week....doing one frame a week.

Also, did you get the personal details sheet to fill in, in the navigation folder, I didn't get one?!

Deputy Dog
26th Sep 2002, 16:05
Just started actually. Thought about doing it for long enough but great to be actually getting stuck in.

OBK!
26th Sep 2002, 16:21
Great! Have you thought about booking the residential 2 weeks yet?

Deputy Dog
26th Sep 2002, 16:36
No !! Do you have to at this stage ?? :eek:

OBK!
26th Sep 2002, 16:56
ERh, I'm not too sure myself. It says 2 months notice required so I think I['ll give it about a month before I ring up and get further details....

Are you going to have to rent out accomodation?

laurie
26th Sep 2002, 21:37
OBK (Ben?)

Why don't you give it a couple of frames to suss out exactly how you would like to perform?

See how you go with the workload before thrashing out timeframes.

Just email your personal details in to BGS. Don't worry about the form.

BGS are very strong in their customer service. Use that, and communicate with them along the way if you have a perceived or actual problem....

And good luck to you.

Remember my second point about workload and timeframes - with a good work ethic, let the work pace itself.....

Laurie

OBK!
26th Sep 2002, 21:52
Wow! that was a pretty good reply..you a preist or something? Did it come from the heart?

Honestly, I take your advice! Come Monday I'll have it all sussed out.

Many thanks for the help laurie :)

iainpoll
27th Sep 2002, 06:55
Started two weeks ago, currently bashing through frame three. Course notes good and clear, and BGS helpful when you need them. The progress tests are a b*****d though, they twist things into as many different directions as possible - I assume this is so they can guage how 'bright' you are!:D :D

Certainly like the idea of having a cyber buddy, PM me if interested.

Good luck.

Mintflavour
27th Sep 2002, 07:50
I started 4 weeks ago. Just completed frame 7. The halfway mark.

I tried to book myself on to the november 2 week course, but they are fully booked. Now I havegot to do the December course which goes from 9th to 20th. then the exams are not until January 6-9th. Im not very happy about the two week gap between course and exams. but I really dont want to wait another month as I will just lose motivation. Anyone else in the same situation? if so give us a PM.

Cheers

Mint

FlyingForFun
27th Sep 2002, 08:07
OBK,

Not sure whether there was sarcasm in your last post or not, but laurie gives very good advice. It's far too early to think about the brush-up course at the moment - just concentrate on getting into your studies, and getting some kind of pattern going. It doesn't really matter whether it's a frame a week or a frame a month, as long as it's consistent.

Personally, I find that I work at a rate of about 2 progress tests a week - which equates to a frame every 1 to 1.5 weeks. Of course, this varies a bit. Sometimes I had to spend longer on one bit. For example, when I first started studying flight planning, it took me a whole week to read the notes in the Jeppessen manuals and learn to interpret all the different charts. Of course, if you've used airways charts or approach charts before, you'll be able to do this much quicker than me... Other weeks I found I had other things to do and couldn't do as much studying. Some subjects, especially those which I am particularly interested in, I can do quicker, and I do more than 2 progress tests a week. But it's only after about the first 4 or 5 frames that you'll get an idea of when to book the brush-up. And whatever you do, don't make it too tight - if it's a choice just making December, or making January comfortably, go for January.

iainpoll,

BGS have no interest at all in how bright you are. What they are interested in is getting you through the exams. Many of the "twisted" questions are exactly as they appear in the exams. The idea is not to guage you. They know that the questions are twisted, and the idea is that you understand this before you get into the real exam, and maybe even recognise many of the questions in the real exam. The brush-up, especially the feedback questions, is more geared towards this than the progress tests, but there is certainly an element of feedback in the progress tests.

(By the way, the system works. There was one particularly "twisted" question in an Instruments progress test, which I got wrong. By the time I did the brush-up, I'd forgotten the question - so when it came up again on the feedback, I got it wrong again. But by the time I sat the exam, and exactly the same question came up again, there was no way I was going to get it wrong a third time!!!)

FFF
--------------

OBK!
27th Sep 2002, 10:00
No it was not sarcasm.

Why does every other member make this out? It really doesn't help. I was showing appreciation, not beeing sarcastic. Ironically how your name is "FlyingForFun".

FlyingForFun
27th Sep 2002, 11:59
OBK,

I'm sorry. I did say that I wasn't sure... I'm certain your appreciation of laurie's reply will be well-received by him.

There was just something in the tone of your post that made me wonder. But if I mis-read that tone, then I apologise.

FFF
-------------

iainpoll
27th Sep 2002, 13:29
FFF,

Not being critical of the progress tests, actually quite glad they make them tough - it's not supposed to be easy. Incidently, last four tests I got back today, got 100%, 100%, 90% and 85%, so I am well chuffed!

Will you be at the private flying bash tomorrow? If so, cya there.:) :)

FlyingForFun
27th Sep 2002, 13:50
Yep, see you there!

FFF
-------------

(PS - I also get consistently good results in progress tests. But I cheat, and use the CD to make sure I'm going to get a good mark first, and if not, I re-learn and then try again! ;) )

MattDavey23
27th Sep 2002, 19:23
Hello to everyone.

I'm currently ploughing through Frame 6 of Module 1 at BGS and I have to say so far so good. I wouldn't say it's easy by any means, but the course notes and CD Rom really are superb.

The horror subject so far I have to say is without doubt Instruments, particularly Gyros and RIGC's. Anyone else feel similar?

Also, my class 1 medical is up for renewal in October. Since I won't be flying commercially for at least a year/eighteen months, does anyone know the implications of letting it lapse and flying on my class 2 for the time being?

Regards,

Matt

laurie
27th Sep 2002, 19:42
Hello Matt,

In wholesome agreement re your comments on problem spots in the course!

Now, exactly the same scenario (re Medical renewal) as what you are asking about came up recently somewhere on the forum. Daft ****** I am, have forgotten where I read it.

Do a search with a few likely words, and you will find the thread. It has definitely been active within the last few weeks - so will not be hard to find.

From memory I think the gist was.........errrrr....

(Eyes rolling inward....sorry mate, can't recumember)

All the best,

Laurie

Doh! Just posted that and returned to the titles to see the thread in question sitting right on top!

MintFlavour was the user who asked the question.

Its been a hard week!;)

Laurie

Cessna Boy
27th Sep 2002, 22:13
Hi OBK looks like I'm on the boat also!
What a day, class 1 at Gatwick 8.30am, passed by 11.30am, called Bristol at 12pm and picked up Module one at 3pm on my way home!:o
Since we seem to be at the same stage I at least know one guy to email when I need bailed out of the s*%t!
Best of luck with the course!
CB

PS. It looks pretty scarey :eek:

vicarofdibley
27th Sep 2002, 23:38
Gyros arent too bad - email me quick while I remember the really handy little memory aid which tells you all you need for the exam

avrodamo
28th Sep 2002, 00:01
Hey...Matt Davey 23...dont let it lapse!! If you renew it it costs you alot less than having to do it all again, which is what happens if you let it lapse.
Im almost finished Mod 2, which is very, very different to Mod 1. There is much more in the way of learning fcats and figures, as oppossed to Mod 1 where you worked most of the answers with the whizz wheel.
Tips for you guys..
1. Know the subjects before you goto BGS. The 2 week course is a brush up, not a cramming course. The first week is spent mainly going over very quickly the course matter, and your clarification of any problems with some exams thrown in for good measure. The secomd week is exams, exams and more exams. If you think the progress tests are twisted wait until Alex gives you his MandB killer paper, and Baz has one very similar for Gen Nav
2. Learn the whizz wheel...learn how to perform the majority of its functions without getting out the little instruction book. You use it all the time...you and your CRP-5 will become very close.
3.Structure your study. Devise a study plan utilising the frame planner. Do a search on my name. there is a thread that details what i do. I did not rush Mod 1 and im not rushing Mod 2. Do it at your pace. I read the notes, and make bullet points for the entire course. I do the progress tests at the same time. I then re-read the whole thing again, and do the tests again. I then read the bullet points and do the tests again. For the last month before the exams plan a revision timetable. Give more time to the killer ones like instruments and Gen Nav, and less to things like Coms.
4.Stay motivated. First 2 months i thought this is great. Then you start on real good stuff like climatology, and gyros and your heart sometimes sinks. You do have to dig deep sometimes.
I passed all my Mod 1 first time, and it's so sweet when those results come through the door i can't tell you...thats what keeps me gping for Mod 2
5. Never be afraid to ask for help. Always ask. Alex always gets back to you with any problems, and a posting on PPrune always attracts help from people in the know
Best of luck guys !!:)

MattDavey23
29th Sep 2002, 08:50
Does anyone have any clever ideas how to build hours whilst studying the ATPL Theory without incurring the usual large costs.

I need another 58 hours P1 before I finish the exams in order to start the CPL Flying Training Course. I have heard various rumours about glider towing, parachute dropping etc etc, but is any of it actually a possibility.

Any advice much appreciated.

Matt

avrodamo
29th Sep 2002, 15:15
I advertise at work and take people up with me. You are allowed to break down the cost equally by the JAR, with the pilot also putting in the pot, but you cant charge your pax the entire cost. If i take 3 pax with me it can bring the cost down to 25 quid an hour for me.;)

The Flashing Blade
29th Sep 2002, 16:17
Count me in on the e-buddies for Bristol GS.

Started last week, just beginning Frame 2. Going well so far but I do not like the look of what is coming up.

Doing the ATPL(H) so the first module is the same as the Plank Drivers course but I then have to learn the Principles of Flight of the Spinny thing over me head. (You thought you had it bad with your wings going in just one direction!)

Best of luck to everyone on the path.

Landie
29th Sep 2002, 16:43
Yes, count me in for BGS e-buddies.

Just started frame 2, module 1.

Any contact regarding studies, advice, shoulder to cry on etc welcome as i'll probably need it.

Best of luck...

Andy.

Bodie
30th Sep 2002, 10:13
Count me in for BGS e-buddies too .

Just signed with BGS and an keen to get my teeth in to it.

Perhaps some kind of mailing list could be set up? Get to know each others background and that kind of thing first??

Cheers
Bodie

FlyingForFun
30th Sep 2002, 10:33
avrodamo

As far as I know, you're not allowed to advertise for passengers on a PPL, even if you will be cost-sharing with those passengers. The only exception is if you advertise in a flying club, and both you and your passengers are members of that flying club.

Of course, it's a fairly thin line between advertising, and e-mailing a load of work-mates. :)

MattDavey

The cheapest way of hour-building in this country, as long as you've got some cash you can part with for a while, is to buy a share in an aircraft. As long as the aircraft is not new, it won't lose too much value over a short-ish period, so you'll get most of your money back. The exact hourly cost will depend largely on the type and condition of your aircraft, and also on how many hours per month you fly. You can fly for less than £15/hour in some single-seater aircraft - although you'll probably need lots of tail-wheel time first for most of these. I currently fly for about £25/hour wet and £50/month - that's also tail-wheel, but there is a trike version of the aircraft which would cost about the same to run.

However, if you're looking to get your ATPL(f) via the cheapest route possible, the best thing is to not worry about flying while you're doing your exams. Do your last 50-or-so hours after your exams, and then when you start your CPL you'll be far more current, and will find the higher standards required for the CPL less challenging.

(Of course, if you're anything like me, you won't be able to handle the idea of going a year or so without flying, because flying is just too much fun to not do!)

Everyone

If you guys manage to set up a study group, I'd be really interested to hear how it goes! My initial thoughts are that everyone studies at a different rate, depending mainly on how many other commitments you have, so I don't think it will work. But I'd love to be proved wrong!

FFF
-------------

PS - Is it just me, or are there at least 3 different subjects now being discussed on one thread? :D Scroggs/WWW - how difficult is it to split this into separate threads?

Haul By Cable
30th Sep 2002, 10:48
FFF,

Is it true that you take the Jepp into the Comms exams?

Cheers,

Haul.

FlyingForFun
30th Sep 2002, 11:45
The Jepp into the Comms exams? No! Why would you want to do that?

You must take the Jepp into the Flight Planning exam. And you are allowed to take one chart (they'll tell you which) into Gen Nav, although they'll give you a (very bad) photo-copy of the relevant part of the chart if you don't want to use your own. But I can't see what use it would be in the Comms exams!

FFF
-----------

(PS - Not that I mind, but why did you direct the question at me?)

MattDavey23
30th Sep 2002, 18:45
Just finished Frame 6 of Module 1. 82% and 88% in the Progress Tests. Could be worse I guess!

Is it just me or does anyone else occasionally have a panic attack over whether they are going to be able to find a job at the end of all this?

A word of advice. Don't read some of the threads about job prospects. They're enough to scare you silly!!!.

Interested to hear all of your views.

Regards,

Matt

OBK!
30th Sep 2002, 19:22
Ah well, I always think about when I am due to complete all my training and have the nice license in my hand...can't wait for the job hunt! I'll hopfully be ready by Jan2004. I have been told by many pilots that there is a load of sh** that goes around here, and that airlines are recovering well.

Take Britannia Airways for example (my fav airline too! lucky me). There's a few more such as GB Airways who I have heard are looking around some schools, easyJet as always looking for some (I think??)...and Ryanair (where Ithink you have to pay to be a pilot lol :p )...

Think positive! We'll all get there one day, look forward to it! :D

Haul By Cable
30th Sep 2002, 21:02
FlyingForFun,

I surf PPRuNe quite a lot. I find it an absolute mine of helpful information, especially when you are an ATPL theory student like me.

I take note if I notice that somebody seems to know their stuff, and especially if that person also happens to be an ex-student of BGS, or indeed, a present student of BGS who happens to be at a more advanced stage of the course than me.

I am no einstein, and after hearing the horror stories of various PPRuNers who have failed exams and are certainly not idiots, I realise that I am really going to have my work cut-out for me.

As a result of this, it tends to put my mind at rest if I can get a feel for what exactly is going to be involved in attending the brush-up courses and sitting the exams, what you do and do not have available to help you, etc.

Having recently finished with Comms, I noticed in the very last chapter it says this...
The following list of definitions and terms may prove useful. You should also read the Introduction to the Jeppesen Manual pages 1 to 45, THIS WILL BE WITH YOU IN THE EXAM.
I thought to myself "that's odd" but I also considered that as that particular section does have rather a lot of definitions in it, if you had a stress induced 'Goldfish moment' it might be a bonus if you did have it with you in the exam (if you got a question splitting hairs on definitions, for example).

So, when I got the impression from your various posts that you had finished the Module 1 exams, I thought that would put you in a good position to comment.

I conclude from your reply that it must have been a typo in my course notes, oh well.

... nose back to the study grindstone...

Haul.

P.S. Please accept my apologies if my directing a question at you seemed a bit intrusive, considering that you don't know me from Adam.

Good luck everyone with your studies!! :)

OBK!
1st Oct 2002, 12:58
Anyone else having/had troubles understanding Maps and Charts chapter?! I can't seem to get my head around it.

FlyingForFun
1st Oct 2002, 14:00
Haul, no need to apologise - I'm flattered! Although I have been known to post some crap on subjects I know very little about from time to time! :eek:

I had expected others to confirm what I said about the Jepp, but I'll try to remember to check the exam instructions and my BGS notes when I get home. I certainly don't remember seeing anything like that in my Comms notes.

FFF
----------------

fox juliet
1st Oct 2002, 19:35
Hi Guys,

I started with BGS a few months ago and have found them to be really helpful and positive (especially when things seem to look pear-shaped!!). I've found the material really daunting at times - take Gen Nav and Instruments for starters :eek: However, other parts seem relatively straight forward. Then again, I could have missed the point.

Does anyone sometimes feel completely bewildered?!!! Still, determination counts for a lot.........

Count me in on the BGS e-buddies.

Best of luck to everyone