PDA

View Full Version : Elevated landing pad.

Vfrpilotpb
25th Sep 2002, 18:52
I have just finished doing some excavation work, and with approximatly 3.5 thousand tonnes of good old fashoined hard earth, I have constructed a berm type wind break to the end of the spur of land involved, it never occured to me until I had finished this project that I have constructed a nearly perfect large ( 60ft x 60 ft) elevated (14ft from all surrounds) landing pad, this has good access from all directions and a ready made wind sock in the form of a constant steam discharging chimney some 1 mile away.

Having never landed on anything thus elevated, could any of you give some advice as to the safe way to get onto this, or indicate what problems may be encountered by upward deflected winds and eddys.
Many regards

Peter B

GLSNightPilot
26th Sep 2002, 00:12
14' isn't that high, so there should be no big problems. I normally land on platforms 100' or higher, & they can be tricky with 30-40 kt winds and obstructions around, but 14' with probably sloping sides shouldn't present any special problems.

heedm
26th Sep 2002, 05:48
Godd spot to start learning elevated pads. Normal approach fine (with only 14' above surrounding) just remember that apparent ground speed will be slower. You may find yourself on top of the spot with excess speed.

As the elevation gets higher, you fly in with more room beneath you so a flatter approach path is possible and safe. That's what I fly to a mountain pinnacle...uses less energy if flown properly. I'm told. :)

Vfrpilotpb
26th Sep 2002, 11:50
Thank you Stan and Mathew, I will be giving it a go very shortly when I have removed all the lose material that could be blown about, will get back and let you all know what it felt like,

;)

Regards
Peter B

Holly_Copter
26th Sep 2002, 13:03
Just don't forget that freshly-excavated earth has a tendancy to be a bit soft, so watch out for a level landing, and a somewhat slanted take-off :eek:

Holly_Copter

Vfrpilotpb
26th Sep 2002, 22:30
Thanks Holly, but its had a gert big D12 shaping it and sat on it, finally shaped by a Hymaccy thingy, its as solid as the Rock of Gib (prior to New Labour). But I do take your point.

Many Regards

PeterB:)

GLSNightPilot
26th Sep 2002, 22:30
Yes, I'd be very careful about bottoming the pitch until I knew for certain everything was solid. If the thing falls through & you get some roll rate going, the results could be ugly.