PDA

View Full Version : Skin Thing.....

Hingeless Rotor
25th Sep 2002, 10:52
Hi Guys,

Over a period of about 4 months I had been watching a small pink circle of skin up high on my chest.
Now this little patch of skin was not in any way nasty looking etc, in fact, you couldn’t see it half the time. But last month, on a tour overseas, I got the usual sunburn on the front collar area where my shirt buttons up, and the little circle of skin went pinker in color compared to the rest of the area. While back home, I was in the doctor’s with my wife getting a check up (first child), I got the doc to have a quick look at the thing just for the hell of it. Well ****** me........it was a skin cancer. A multi-focal, something or other, Basal Cell Carcinoma, or some crap like that. Either way it was attached to the ‘cancer’ word.

For someone who thought that it only happened to others, and only being 30, it was a hell of a shock. The doctor said “welcome to the club”. It didn’t make me feel any better. He knew I was a helicopter pilot and said that we were in the highest risk group. I did actually know that, but when you go under the knife in order to rid yourself of a skin cancer, it takes on a whole new meaning.

I am trying to find out two things.

1. Have many others out there had a confirmed skin cancer? And is it as common as they say?
2. Is the Perspex used in helicopter’s UV protective. I have always been under the impression that it is but I would like some confirmation if any one knows for sure.

Anyway, I also thought that it would be a good time to mention it to others, I guess as the old saying goes, if it saves one life then it’s worth it. Use sunscreen!

By the way, I got the mongrel chopped out and they said that it was completely removed. Once bitten, twice shy though.....................:cool:

Cheers.

BlenderPilot
25th Sep 2002, 17:53
I'm 31 yrs. old, and 3 yrs. ago a small black dot started growing in below my left eye, after about a year it had grown from about .5mm to about 4 mm, went to the doctor and he told me it was definately skin cancer, he removed it and it was confirmed by the following tests.

The doctor said that as a helicopter pilot I would be at high risk especially at the time that I was flying about 6 or 7 hrs a day. here in very sunny Mexico.

From now on I always wear 60SPF sunblock if I am going to be out there a while.

helicopter pics here:
http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/helicopterpictures/PhotoAlbum15.html

misterbonkers
25th Sep 2002, 18:20
If you do get skin cancer like this, what happens to your Class 1 medical certificate in the UK? Is it rendered invalid and if so, how long is iit before you can get it back?

SASless
26th Sep 2002, 01:14
Had a Basel Cell cancer thing removed from my cheek just below where my glasses rest.....doctor remarked that if one had to have cancer...this was the exact right type to have......usually very benign sort. After removing what seemed to be a pound of flesh...thought he was doing a root canal for a bit....subsequent pathologists report reported all was ok.

I go back for a check up every year religiously....and scrutinize every little blemish and flaw (what few I have on this adonnis like body of mine!).

We are in the sun a lot....thus always liable for such problems.....I use the strongest sunscreen I can find.

Nigel Osborn
26th Sep 2002, 03:09
I've been told by several doctors that BCCs are no big deal if treated within a reasonable time frame. I'm surprised so many of you have had them cut out when small as over here that doesn't seem to be the procedure.
Over the last 15 years I have had about 20 BCCs sapped with nitrogen and frozen off. My last doc gave me an ointment to use which doesn't make such a big scab. Makes you look a bit like a spotty teenager!
With 2500 hours in a Bell 47, it's no surprise that my left arm needed more sapping than my right.:eek:

3top
26th Sep 2002, 03:51
Jeeesus!

Guys, you just gave me a BIG scare! I had a couple of times a nasty sunburn on my right arm because of the intense sun out while fishing on a tunaboat. As I fly doors off as often as I can, my right arm is in direct sunlight more often than not.

From now on - SPF 50+.............for the rest of the career (hopefully just getting shiny now!) - I am 38 in a couple of weeks...........NOW I scared myself, big time.

:cool: 3top

Nigel Osborn
26th Sep 2002, 06:44
3TOP
I'm 65 now, been flying nearly 47 years and BCCs are no big deal. The most common places to get them seem to be:-
1. On a small pox vacination scar.
2. Face, around the cheek area.
3. Forearms, especially if you had short sleeves and didn't wear gloves.
They seem to start off pink and then get a bit crusty.
Anyone else have this problem?:confused:

Thomas coupling
26th Sep 2002, 07:20
This should be on the medical forum, even though I sympathise, Guys.

3top
26th Sep 2002, 21:47
Okay Thomas C., copy it over. I am glad it came up here ,as I have hardly time to surf here. I am never looking into the medical (although it might be a good idea....) for lack of time.

:) 3top

S76Heavy
27th Sep 2002, 06:36
Do these things only develop where the skin is exposed to sunlight or can the "travel" to unexposed areas as well? Just so I know where to look for them..:(

Hingeless Rotor
27th Sep 2002, 09:30
From what I gather, with the little research that I have done, is that it really is only on the areas that are exposed to alot of sun over time. They literally are an accumulation of errors. The more sun (UV) over time, the higher the risk.

As mentioned above the most common areas are the face, hands, neck and arms. The only good thing I guess (best of the worst) is that BCC's don't have the habit of spreading to other areas of the body (less than 0.1%) unlike the dreaded Melonoma's. Theoretically you could let one get relatively big and still be able to chop it out and thats that. BUT....... if they do grow into bone or blood vessels then there is a chance that it can be fatal. The idea, of course, is to catch them early.

One other thing I found out, for all you guys like me that have had one cut out, there is a 32% to 51% chance of getting another one within 5 years..............Now thats a crap thought.

Cheers

SASless
27th Sep 2002, 11:48
Heavy....have it from reliable sources....due to the unique way helicopter pilots expose themselves to the sun.....rather delicate places are the most liable to have these little rascals......was told that getting out of the bath and using a hand mirror to check yourself was the best method.....the other advice was not to get excited....that is you ...that you are looking at!

S76Heavy
27th Sep 2002, 19:20
SASless, I'll try and convince the girlfriend that she ought to check out the sof tissues on a regular basis then..:cool: and if she still gets excited after all those years..:D