PDA

View Full Version : Advice Gratefully appreciated

MTB Autopilot
25th Sep 2002, 10:43
Hello everyone,

Any advice would be appreciated. I have 350 hrs,FATPL,MCC etc. etc........

I am looking for advice as I am unsure about my next step as
there does not seem to be a huge amount of employment oppurtunities in the aviation sector.

This is where my dilemma starts as through a friend of mine I have been offered a good job that would pay well. My problem is that this position has absolutely nothing to do with aviation and for some reason I am still hoping that I will recieve that magic phone call from some airline to which one of my many cvs went. This new job would entail training and a certain level of commitment and when I think about doing this i feel that i am betraying myself and that I maybe just threw away 70'000.

Is there anyone who is or has been in a similar situation and has taken abreak for a couple of years and has succesfully returned to a career in aviation. At the end of the day all I want to do is fly otherwise this decision would have been straightforward.

Any genuine advice would be bratefully recieved.
Thankyou very much to all who take the time to read and reply.

"keep knocking and the right doors will eventually open" :)

MJR
25th Sep 2002, 14:55
I suppose it tends how old you are MTB. If you in your early twenties taking a career break now will probably do you no harm at all, but if you are approaching your forties then you need to be ready to take the opportunity as soon as it comes. It seems quite a sound idea to get a job in a different field while the aviation market is so depressed with nothing to lose providing you can keep doing some flying in your spare time.

Follow your heart.

TTFN

MJR:D

Johnny 7
25th Sep 2002, 15:37
Agree with MJR - but it also depends on your domestic circumstances . If you are in need of a regular income to support wife , kids , mortgage etc. then you must have a different perspective on the situation . Yes the market is depressed at the moment & is likely to get worse in the event of action in the Gulf , but it was worse than this in the early 90's & the market rebounded after a couple of years .

Look at the costs of your training as an investment that may take a little longer to mature than you first imagined - if the job offer you have is well paid & easy to leave in the event of an upturn in the aviation market then why not take it up ? Almost any experience is useful for an aviation career regardless of whether it's aviation related . I hold an ATPL with about 5000 hrs , made redundant about 2 years ago & still unable to find work in the industry - but then I have all the trappings of domestic bliss , accumulated when times were good , & so am trying ( perhaps somewhat foolishly ) to restart where I left off . It would be very good to be flying again and I'm hopeful that eventually this will happen .

Most importantly , try to keep as current as you can .

MTB Autopilot
25th Sep 2002, 16:46
To maybe clear a couple of things up I am 23 with no ties, well except to the bank that owns me!!

Thanks for your advice. I probably would have to go through some training for this job and due to that fact would probably have to commit to a certain timespan.
I think it is probably the right move as the new finances will help me remain current but I cant help but have an uneasy feeling as if I am giving up on something that I have dreamed about for so long.

thanks again for taking the time to post a reply it is appreciated!