PDA

View Full Version : lenient or not?

halos
25th Sep 2002, 09:46
Because of sub-standard vision it looks like the only way I could get a class 1 is the FAA route.

But how lenient would the CAA be if and when I came to convert the medical?

baldwinm
25th Sep 2002, 12:46
Presumably you would only need to meet the renewal requirements - which are the same as for a class 2 licence.

How bad is your eyesight - have you actually failed a class 1 test?

My prescription is slightly outside the limits but they suggested I come down for the exam anyway - maybe they just need to fail someone! :D

halos
25th Sep 2002, 14:18
Cheers for the info

I already have a JAA class 2 so this is very encouraging

But i'll fall way short of the minimum for the CAA class one due to an lazy eye, already been told this by an AME

But reading between the lines the FAA seen to have a far more sensible attitude to this if you are safe.

Anybody got any experience of the FAA Class 1?

BlueEagle
25th Sep 2002, 22:28
Baldwinm - Doubt if the CAA would simply be out to fail you and waste your money!:)

Using different equipment I have managed two different results on eye tests, one said I needed corrective lenses the other said I didn't. Just possible that the CAA equipment is the yard stick they measure by and if there is any latitude to be given they are the ones to give it.

Maybe worth your while going to see them? Just my thoughts.

baldwinm
26th Sep 2002, 08:42
BlueEagle - intially i thought I was within the limits for unaided vision but apparently I have astigatism in one eye that takes it slightly over the limit. I would be well within the limits for the renewal test. My corrected vision is fine.

They said I should come down for an eyesight first medical - i.e. if I fail the eyesight test I only pay £45 not the full £400.

I'm going down next Tuesday so wish me luck. I suppose if I fail I could investigate the FAA option. It will be a bit of a pain if I just fail because I want to instruct PPLs (initially at least) which you didn't used to have a class 1 for.

BlueEagle
26th Sep 2002, 10:35
Good luck with your medical, they will be on your side I am sure, they get no pleasure from having to fail or downgrade someone.

Please keep us posted on the results.

Once again, best of luck.