PDA

View Full Version : New JAA-FCL Logbooks

oskartr
24th Sep 2002, 21:18
Hello Pilots!

Just wanted to check if any of you had seen or started to use the new JAA Logbook and what you think about the change?

Can anybody explain to me why it is necessary to log actual UTC time OFF and ON BLOCK? Why cant we just sum it up and log Total block time as we used to do?
This has the effect that if I fly 2-3 legs in one day I have to use 2-3 lines in the logbook instead of just 1 line with the total of all flight that day.

Tinstaafl
25th Sep 2002, 10:21
...what you think about the change?

Easy. I don't.

I continue to use my Australian log book & have no intention of changing. Even after this one is full I still have another empty one.

Bloody bureaucrats....:rolleyes:

LRdriver
26th Sep 2002, 09:47
Me neither..
If I fly 5 sectors in a day, then I can't be arsed about wasting 5 lines.. I just add them up on one line..

More useless redtape in the farce that is JAA..

Earthmover
27th Sep 2002, 00:58
Ah, I'm in a minority of one then - I like it! I've been using it for about 18 months. I disliked it at first - until I found that there is much less fiddlesome addition to do. For instance, if you always fly PIC then your PIC total will be the same as your Total Time of Flight er..total ..... simple innit??!!

Slickster
27th Sep 2002, 19:20
I use a Pooleys one, which I like. I also do log all sectors, because, well, I like to have a log! Will not be using new JAR book, though, as it won't fit into my leather cover!;)

Tinstaafl
28th Sep 2002, 11:21
If I can combine a series of flights on to one line I will. About the only time an eligible series of flights would get split is if I run out of room to list the departure & arrival points (& occasionally tracking points). If the date, crew, a/c & type of operation stay the same then it's one flight for me. Best I regularly manage is between 10 & 14 sectors.

I had enough of filling in log books with .3 hrs, .5, 1.1 etc & constantly having to tally/transfer the page from my instructing days. I'm two thirds through logbook #3 & I've only a bit over 4,000 hrs!

knock-knock
28th Sep 2002, 22:25
Hi Oskartr, it seems that we up here are the only pilots who are forced by law by our (JAR addicted) CAA to log our flightime in JAA certified logbooks.
The JAR FCL 1.080 chapter and the log format really makes me think that no pilots or pilot knowledge was considered when created.
It shows bureaucratism par excellence:

-They want us as professional pilots to log UTC dep/arr times, which are anyhow kept on file, on at least three other different files(locations).

-We have to write name of PIC when flying as copilots in a special column and there is space at the bottom of the page to add (the names) together and find out at total value (of the names?).

-There is also a column for operational conditions, divided into Night and IFR, but there is NO space at the bottom of the page to add together and keep at total record of night and IFR, which is always considered when the pilot applies for a job as a pilot.

-There are no special columns at all for jet or turboprop hours, also needed by the pilot when applying for a job.

-Draft from our instructions, -and what a simplification and/or standardization (JAA)...:
"Pilots who fly regularly aeroplanes and helicopters or other aircraft types are recommended to maintain separate logbooks for each type of flying."
How many logbooks will we have to carry around instead of one?

-As we are told and instructed that ALL pilots have to log in new JAA logbooks;- what about those foreign pilots (non JAA) with a validation up here working for a JAA operator, do they have to log JAA too, to obtain a renewal of their validation?

Regards, knock-knock

Trader
30th Sep 2002, 21:46
Do you have to log in a SPECIFIC JAA logbook or are you required only to log the information that they specify? In other words, if your logbook has suffiecient blank columns could you use those columns to log the time that the JAA requires??

Anyone know where I can buy a JAA log book or if there is a website that has a picture displaying what the pages look like?

oskartr
1st Oct 2002, 10:12
Check this document from JAA, JAR_FCL 1.080 (page 12 in the PDF document):

http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jars/38/19/381978/381978.pdf

Jeppesen sells these JAA logbooks

http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/application/commercewf?origin=itemsummary.jsp&event=link(details)&wlcs_catalog_item_sku=JAALOG&wlcs_catalog_category_id=PS5&wlcs_document_type=details