PDA

View Full Version : Have'nt really got a clue

paulnadin
24th Sep 2002, 18:23
Hello,

Can anyone help or give me some advice?

I am currently a glider pilot, not through lack of interest in powered flying but more lack of funds. My aim has always been to embark on professional pilot training and now i think its time I started before it gets to late.

I am hoping to travel the roads that many of you have, or are still travelling and as such could do with some advice from people who have actually taken what I understand to be a long and expensive process to the fATPL.

I'll be honest, apart from doing my PPL which I am hoping to begin next year I am unsure of the licenses, flying hours and exams required and the order in which it is best to take them. I am aware of the IMC rating but am unsure as to whether it is worth while as I believe it is not recognised by the JAA.

Please! Any feed back and advice on the routes other people have taken/taking would be grately appreciated. I have already mentioned that I have'nt yet started any training but I think it is wise to know where you are going before you start your journey. (very philosophical I know). Oh yes, and just the little subject of how much hammer my wallet will need to take whilst I am on my 'journey', I'd probably be wise to find out the real costs that other people have faced and not just the ones that the flying schools quote to entice you to them.

Cheers again for any help,

Paul. :)

Piper Warrior Pilot
24th Sep 2002, 18:39
Hi
Im just starting my PPL this month and the basic route is

PPL, 7 exams to do
Hour build to 150 hours, may need Night Rating and IMC
CPL possibly with instructors rating
ATPL exams, 14 of them

This is very basic, and im sure someone would be more than glad to add to this

Hope this helps

Evo
24th Sep 2002, 18:47
Not sure this is quite right - surely you need CPL or ATPL writtens to get the CPL? And you left out the IR...

paulnadin
24th Sep 2002, 18:49
Thankyou piperwarrior pilot, good luck with the PPL,

Paul

Keep 'em coming folks, all input gratefully received

Paul.

24th Sep 2002, 20:41
Yes you do need the writtens for the CPL, but if you're planning to instruct, you only need an IMC rating, hence the IR wasn't mentioned.

Frozen ATPL is a CPL with IR, with ATPL writtens passed............

laurie
24th Sep 2002, 20:59
Paul, this question has been covered very well over the last year. You will get some answers on the current thread, but I suggest in the meantime you set the 'show posts from' option to 'show all posts' then trawl through, say, the last year's posts just picking out the threads you think look interesting, or might help with what you are asking.....

Its a good way to get to know the forum (I see you are new here)

I could post here about what is required, but in reality it all depends on exactly what you want out of flying - there are many paths to take.....best you go off and get the gist of everything.

Best of luck,

Laurie
:)

Piper Warrior Pilot
24th Sep 2002, 21:19
I heard no point in doing CPL writtens, might as well just do ATPL writtens if u wanna go all the way.