PDA

View Full Version : LGU January Students

CAT3C AUTOLAND
24th Sep 2002, 17:15
Hi guys/Gals, just wondering whether there are any Wannabees starting the ATPL January course next year?

Also, Spitfire 747, if you have found the time to read this post, how are you getting on, as I seem to recall you started on the September course?

Cheers.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
25th Sep 2002, 18:06
Guess I am going on my own then :p.

Select Zone Five
7th Oct 2002, 09:26
I am seriously considering the Jan course at LGU. I'm currently reading through some literature from a few schools but I'd like to stay in London so LGU looks good! What swung it for you?

How does the pre-course revision pack work? Do you have to take a test or is it just notes for you to test your aptitude?

CAT3C AUTOLAND
7th Oct 2002, 12:32
Oh, there is life ;)

Select, I was orginally all set for PPSC, and as you know, they are no more. I had heard good things about LGU, and visited them at the beginning of this year. I spoke to the instructors and managed to track down a student that had finished his ATPL theory and was using their sim for his IR renewal. He had nothing but praise for the school, so I bit the bullet. BGS sounded like a good option, however, I feel more comfortable with the full time resedential course than distance learning. Oxford was also an option but was not tempted by the price, and from talking to other students, the general consensus was that the extra money was not worth it, however, I am sure others may disagree.

With respect to the pre-course revision pack, I think the object of the exercise is to give you some sort of indication of the knowledge that is required before you start the course. It is all basic mathematics and physics, but some people have been away from school for a long time and will need to do some revision. I found that working through the test helped me to remember the stuff I learnt at school/college. I did the test at home and took it with me to the Uni, and one of the instructors marked it for me while I had a go in the MCC sim :).

Might see you next year.

Select Zone Five
7th Oct 2002, 12:53
Sounds like you had the same shortlist as me! I also have a good impression of BGS but, like you, prefer the residential option. I also considered OAT as they seem to be the "daddy" but I worked v.hard for the money for this and I want to maximise it. I know many people will say "you get what you pay" for but I hope with hard work and dedication LGU should be adequate.

Thanks for the info on the revision pack. I'm pretty sure I have the aptitude for it and I have P&A Maths and Physics A-levels but it seems a long time ago! (10 years!!). Could do with a refresher!

I'll let you know what I decide and maybe we can be study buddies! :cool:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
7th Oct 2002, 13:23
I have had countless conversations with people about the Oxford subject, it would appear due to the history of Oxford that it is the daddy. However on saying that, I have heard so many conflicting opinions I have decided not to go anywhere purely on the basis of thinking X school on my CV will get me that job, if that makes sense. I think that I would only attend Oxford, if BA was paying for it, and that will not happen because I am too old :D.

But anyway, yes I agree with you that LGU will suffice and as one of the ground instructors said to me, 'the amount of effort you put into this course is directly proportional to the amount of successful examination passes you receive', which I completely agree with, nothing good is easy.

Having A Level Maths and Physics, I would imagine, will put you in a very good position for the course, no problem there.

Like you say, might see you there. I have noticed you are from London, do you live near the University? Want to rent a room!?:D

spitfire747
7th Oct 2002, 15:31
CAT3C AUTOLAND

I started at LGU on 1st September on the first 3 exams (Performance, Principles of FLight and Aircraft General Knowledge) As you obviously know LGU have decided to split the ATPLs into 3 modules instead of the traditional 2, giving hopefully a better chance of passing all first time.

I have been here 5 full weeks and together with 22 others in the class almost finished all the JA course material for the subjects mentioned above ! We have tended to race through the subjects skipping over them and then to concentrate on revision and progress tests and feedback at the end.
All progress tests so far (and they are given every 15 hours or so) have been passed over the 75% mark so I am happy, but i know i have got alot of work to do from now until 4th November.

We work 9 - 16.15 each day in the uni and i try to do atleast 5 hours study everynight, mainly reading and note taking, and now feedback questions. The trouble is with the JAR you need to know a little about EVERYTHING to do with flying, good in some respects but when you learn about systems that were redunent 15 years ago and never to re-appear, you usually just raise and eye brow and continue.!

My advice for you though is

1. Make sure you have got some accommodation SORTED BEFORE you start the course. SOme guys hee were still looking in week 3 after moving from B&B to B&B. try to get somewhere quiet and away from distractions
2. If you have still got them, READ and RAED again the PPL theory books you had for your PPL course. They assume here you have the PPL knowledge that you would have got if your school gave you the 80 hours required under JAR ! also alot of stuff is built on the principles of PPL, so it is essential you know about it. Just read the books prior to start, particularly PRINCIPLES of FLIGHT and PERFORMANCE, it will make your time alot easier.

Anyway i have gotta go now, basic radio awaits me !!

Spitfire 747
:)

Select Zone Five
7th Oct 2002, 15:46
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Sorry...no room available! :(

I'm really looking forward to the course even though it's gonna be hard work. I'm pretty sure the residential will force my concentration in a way that distance will not (in my case anyway!)

spitfire747

Sounds like you're enjoying it, thanks for the advice. I will be reading through those PPL books again for sure. :)

Johnny 7
7th Oct 2002, 19:23
Right , at the risk of sticking my neck out , I studied at LGU & found it to be a great place with very good , dedicated instructors . There are many distractions & being away from a conventional airfield environment you must be highly motivated , however , unless things have changed very recently , I found a set of alternative notes absolutely invaluable . The majority of exam feedback used in the practice & mock papers was sadly out of date & despite having felt that I had learnt the syllabus thoroughly ( i.e. enough to pass all the final mock papers without much difficulty ) I found myself unprepared for the actual exams . The majority of my course decided not to sit the exams but instead re-took the course . If you are able to get your hands on a set of OAT or BGS notes & particularly feedback papers you will find that they will stimulate you to ask the questions & cover the areas that are essential in order to pass .

Enjoy the course & LGU .

CAT3C AUTOLAND
7th Oct 2002, 20:13
Spit 747, thought you may have been busy with the hard work, and nice to hear from you! I appreciate the advice and have taken it on board. Interesting about you PPL comments, I have heard the same thing from others. I spent the early part of this year writing my self a full set of PPL notes from my notes I took whilst on the PPSC PPL ground school. I will make sure that material is firmly planted in my brain. I have sent you an e-mail.

Select Zone Five, dam!:D. Nevermind, have to keep hunting for somewhere to live.

Johnny 7, appreciate your comments, going to spend some time trying to get to know some Oxford and BGS students :D.

flite idol
7th Oct 2002, 23:57
Did the LGU thing several years back. Great place and can highly recommend them. But as previously mentioned they teach the syllabus! Its almost essential to combine that with some notes and practice papers from some of the schools that teach the EXAMS and not the subjects, then you will be streets ahead. Well thats my tuppence worth! Good luck to all !

spitfire747
8th Oct 2002, 15:46
I agree they do teach EVERYTHING on the syallabus ad I would rather have abroad knowledge of everything, rather than the exam content!

See ya in Ja

Spitty :)

Johnny 7
10th Oct 2002, 03:27
True , it would be nice to have an understanding of the entire syllabus rather than focussing on the main exam areas however , there is nothing more frustrating than remembering something you are not being asked about in the exam hall when you could have been directed toward the actual question area by thoughtfully constructed feedback questions ? Remember , you will use surprisingly little of what you have spent precious hours learning in actual line flying .

Select Zone Five
14th Nov 2002, 15:00
There are some new LGU notes in the pipeline apparently, more geared towards exam passing I hope! Not sure exactly when they will be available.

spitfire747 I hope the Nov 4th exams went OK.

CAT3C AUTOLAND did you pick up your Phase A notes already? Have you started studying?

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th Nov 2002, 17:24
January will soon be here!:eek:

This is an old post, nice to see it spring back into life.

Select Zone Five to answer your question, I have not long jacked in my part time job, and am just about to commence study, mainly on PPL stuff, making sure I am familiar. No I have not got any of the LGU notes, have you?

Spit how are you getting on, did the exams go ok? Also, do you think it is worth spending Ģ850 for the Jepp Oxford manuals, just noticed in one of your other posts, you suggested it?

Select Zone Five
15th Nov 2002, 14:47
CAT3 - No I don't have the notes yet but apparently I can pick up the 'Phase A' notes just as soon as I give LGU the full payment :rolleyes: I don't want to pick up the notes only to find that the new ones come out in a few weeks.

I sent an e-mail asking when they are ready but no reply so far. I will phone them on Monday.

rotorrookie
15th Nov 2002, 20:47
Hi there I was in LGU 18months ago and overall they are good
but some of the notes they use are crap.. my advise,,, provide you self the jeppesen-Ox notes and try get some Oxford feedback... itīs near to be suspicious how good the Ox feedback is.Then the f***ing CAA exams will be easy...:D

Finishing the ATPL
16th Nov 2002, 19:49
Dear all,

I am just about to (hopefully) finnish the ATPL through LGU. Yes they get the job done, but i'm sure there's better around.
Think about it properly...have you seen their notes?
Most of the instructors are OK, some are excellent.
If I had to do it again, I think i'd seriously consider Oxford, after all, LGU feedback is practically all from oxford.

hope this helps

timzsta
17th Nov 2002, 10:28
I am distance learning with LGU at the moment, planning to do my revision week for the first 7 exams in January - so hope to see a few of you there.

Have had no problems at all with support from LGU. My tutor is only to willing to find out answers to queries, both regarding things from the syllabus, and recently beyond. All progress tests sent to my e-mail when I ask for them. Even when my tutor was ill, someone else jumped into the breach and helped out, letting me know what was going on. So all in all I have been very pleased.

With regard to the comments made on some of the stuff in the notes and syllabus - what you have to remember is that the vast majority of us are not going to walk onto the flight deck of a shiny new Boeing or Airbus the week after we get our fATPL. Much more likely we will be instructing, working for Air Taxi firms or flying an old twin turboprop like the Shorts or something if we are lucky. So a little knowledge about older systems is no bad thing.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
18th Nov 2002, 14:29
Select Zone Five ok thanks for the info, I think I will standby myself until I start. I have some of the PPSC manuals, so I am using them to get started. I will look forward to meeting you in January.

RotorRookie thanks for the information, I understand there are some notes in the pipeline, which I am sure will be fine :D. Just out of interest, what are you up to now, have you completed the professional flying modules yet?

Finishing the ATPL thanks for your comments. I simply cannot afford to go to Oxford, and from what I saw of LGU whilst visiting, I was very pleased. Good luck with the rest of the course.

Timzsta nice to hear positive comments, for the first time after embarking on this mission, I am actually quite looking forward to starting the ATPL ground school. Mad I know :D.

peter knapp
19th Nov 2002, 11:32
In reply to the London Metropolitan University (formally LGU) notes - you are right in saying a new set is on the way. We are already using new material in some subjects, the others are being introduced as they become available. A completely new set of notes in a new format with full colour will be available from next July.