PDA

View Full Version : Signals test?

thearrow
24th Sep 2002, 06:33
After having a Class 1 in the US for a number of years, it's stunned me to have a medico in Australia for a CASA Class 1 tell me I fail the colorblindness tests and refer me to someone to do
the lantern test. He used some plates that I had never seen before and under much duress, couldn't pick some numbers.

I did the lantern test this AM and failed it by 1 over the maximum allowed. Not having seen any white lights I asked if I should have and was told 'yes you should'. It turns out the 'light yellow' which I was calling 'red' on was actually a very incandescent white :mad: :mad: :mad: why the **** don't they tell you that as I was expecting a plain white

So the next step is going to the airfield and getting shot by different colors from the tower - the 'signals' test - aka beam me up scotty. Anyone done this test? I don't want to get caught out by being beamed light light yellow and calling it red. This test is my last chance apparently....:(

buzzc152
24th Sep 2002, 10:54
That's poor form. Whenever I have have done latern tests in the past they always show you each light first............ but then were'nt you suspicious when you got a 'yellow' light with a genuine red ???

Anyway, I've no experience with a signals tests though I've seen the lights the tower uses to signal aircraft. They are not that easy to see due it being a narrow low intensity beam.

Best of luck though.

Islander Jock
25th Sep 2002, 12:35
thearrow,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I can show some empathy though being colour defective myself. It has stopped me from doing a lot of things I dreamed of over the years.

Just one question though. Do you intend only to obtain a CPL or go on to ATPL. If it is only a class 1 for CPL then you should not have any worries except your medical will be endorsed "Australian Airspace Only" "Up to CPL Only"

When I started flying I was restriced to day VFR pvt only but when they lifted the restriction I went on to CPL MECIR. Just hope nobody asks me to fly a plane from Australia to a foreign land. Not too many countries except for USA are as relaxed on the colour vision requirements.

Look up some of the articles on defective colour vision by Dr Arthur Pape. He is also a pilot and a number of years back took CASA to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and won. If it wasn't for his and AOPA's efforts on that issue, most of us would still be belting around in daylight VMC only.

Would be interested to hear how you go with the practical light gun from the tower and what if any restrictions they impose.

Good luck!

thearrow
25th Sep 2002, 22:58
Hmmm. Well it's a *big* shock being considered a color 'defective'. I can't recall ever disagreeing with someone on colors of things. I am(was?) hoping to get my ATPL but this is obviously a big sticking point.

The comments I've seen in other threads about the signals test seem to vary from *easy* to *low intensity*....so who knows? I'll spend time chasing the documentation thru CASA so I can get this test done ASAP.