PDA

View Full Version : Which Aircraft?

Luca_brasi
24th Sep 2002, 06:05
Just wondering if you guys have got any advice with regards to picking a certain aircraft for a long (around 25-30 hours) trip from Melbourne up to Alice Springs and maybe further.

I currently have a CSU and Retract endo and have been flying an Arrow III for about 4 hours so far (with more planned) and i absolutely love the aircraft and would love to take it, only problem being is that the flying school only has one Arrow and i dont know how they would feel about me taking it for about 3 weeks.

What other aircraft types would be well suited to this type of trip?? I have looked at the Trinidad and while very comfortable and fast it may be a little too expensive. I also know of a C210 that i may be able to have access too but i doubt i would be able to find another 4 people to take making it more cost effective.

Thanks in advance

RENURPP
24th Sep 2002, 08:13
My personal choice would be a C182. You can pretty much fill the seats fill the tanks and motor around the same speed as an arrow.

Better performance than an arrow and its getting warm up here 38 I think today at Alice 2000' AMSL. Also pretty rough with thermal turbulence below 10,000 so you want some thing that will get up and go or fly early in the am.

Don't discount the C210. Although it may be more expensive / hr do some numbers and see how many hrs it will take compared to say the arrow. 4 pax won't be a problem and much better range and alot more comfortable.

strewth
24th Sep 2002, 09:20
The only thing better than a C182 would be a C182 RG :D

They are faster but have a similar fuel flow, similar lifting ability and are just as good behind the controls as a C182. Great aircraft for hire & fly.

Either way, have a good trip!

drexel
24th Sep 2002, 13:13
have some guts take one of the warriors and leave your GPS at home

have fun.:D

Towering Q
26th Sep 2002, 02:45
I would spend the extra and go for the 210. Even if you don't fill all seats the extra room is handy. With nobody in the back row you can push the middle seats back and give your pax miles of leg room. The back seats can then be used for storing items that you need in flight.

Once you have spent some time in a 210 it will be hard to get excited about flying the 182.

On Track
3rd Oct 2002, 22:47
Did a trip like that a few years ago in a Saratoga - from Sydney, through the Red Centre, to the Top End, across to Cairns and all the way down the coast.

With only 3 POB we were able to carry some camping equipment and plenty of provisions with us.

Would not have wanted to take anything smaller.

MLS-12D
4th Oct 2002, 16:33
Don't know how many people will be accompanying you, but assuming you are going solo or with one pax only I would save money and take a humble 172. There is no obvious advantage to a 182, 210, Saratoga etc. unless you are pushed for time; and assuming that you are making this journey for sight-seeing and/or time building purposes, why not cruise along at an economic rate of fuel consumption and enjoy the trip?

Of course, if you will have two or more pax, a 172 won't do.

Luca_brasi
5th Oct 2002, 02:12
Thanks for all the replies, both public and private. I am looking at doing it for a bit of sightseeing and to get hours up. The 210 would be great for getting experience as would the 182 but i have probably 2 people coming with me so an archer or a 172 would be good cost wise.

But thanks for it all, its food for thought

Chimbu chuckles
5th Oct 2002, 02:41
LB

I would have thought that a combination of sector lengths, 3 bums and their stuff (emergency water is not light!!) would make a C172 out of the question...performance in the red center on hot days will mean you are way overweight with enough fuel and all those bums/stuff in the little Skyhawk. A 172 on a trip like that is a two seater!

If you are building hours for a CPL then I would think 20+ odd hours in C210 (at 1/3rd the full rate) across the middle of Aus would be invaluable when you go hunting that first job.

There is an old rule of thumb...If you want a good 4 seater buy/hire a 6 seater.

C210s and A36s are actually 4 seaters with 'optional' extra seats designed, essentially, for 2 children. The POH for my own A36 actually says that!

Take an A36/210 and make the trip a pleasant experience for all concerned...the overall cost /person will be damn near the same (maybe even cheaper) but the experience value and enjoyment factor will be far greater!

Take a 4th person if you're that worried about costs...a 4th for a trip like that will be easy to find.

I was on a similar trip many years ago where we took a bunch of aeroplanes and students/ppls from Camden out to the center, up to Darwin(for the annual Aero Clubs conference), across to TL and down the East Coast back to Camden. We had a C210, Cherokee 6-300, and a Grumman Tiger initially but ended up taking an extra Tiger just to spread the loads better.

Chuck

Towering Q
5th Oct 2002, 15:23
Sounds like good advice L.B.

MLS-12D
8th Oct 2002, 23:10
I agree with Chimbu chuckles: a 172 would be less than marginal with 3 people and baggage, unless you have a 180 hp "Superhawk" version available to you.

Gravox
9th Oct 2002, 08:19
If you were to take a C210, then atleast there would be some room to pick up a couple of lovely backpackers, to enjoy the sights with :D

Jamair
9th Oct 2002, 11:31
If you have access to a C182, take it. They go fast enough to get there, high enough to stay cool, carry enough to matter, have more fuel range than you can use, don't cost the earth to hire, are easy to fly (if you don't mistreat them) and if CPL cred is on the agenda, they are worth something in that area too. I just did a similar trip through the centre in one. Whatever you do, DON'T stay at Ayers Rock (unless you have more money than sense); go down the road (15 mins airtime) to Curtin Springs - and that is where all the backpackers go too!

Dont take more than two or three people; you'll spend all your time organising them and not be able to enjoy yourself.

Have fun.

Cap'n Bunghole
19th Oct 2002, 05:30
If you can find a Rockwell 114 - that will get you around at 155kts with 3 pax, full fuel and bags in excellent comfort. As for price....well about 5 years ago it was very economical. These days that may not be the case - if you are lucky enough to find one.

Does anybody know what happened to VH-MNZ based at PF a few years ago. It had tinted windows, GPS and a CD stacker for $155 per hour!!!!

AHH memories!:D

Towering Q
19th Oct 2002, 11:00
The 114's trailing link gear makes for smooth landings everytime. Your pax will think you are a pro.:cool: