PDA

View Full Version : Delta "fuloughs" another 150 pilots

whatshouldiuse
23rd Sep 2002, 22:12
I put the term "furlough" in apostrophies because they haven't been fired yet. They are still available for duty supposedly should the need arise. My sympathies to all of them.

Andy

None
24th Sep 2002, 00:36
If my memory is correct, there is no story here. I think I remember that this company had approval from Federal mediators to furlough up to 1400. Even with these 150 spread out over October and November (as the announcement said), there are still less than 1,000 on furlough. They have been furloughing every month since October 2001. I'm not sure why CNN and others decided this latest round was now suitable for the news.

whatshouldiuse
24th Sep 2002, 23:07
I guess the only reason it is suitable is unless you're NOT one of the 150 pilots. I truly thought the aviation industry stuck together.

Ray Darr
24th Sep 2002, 23:37
Sympathies to all. Been there, done that.

It's not easy, and sympathy doesn't feed the kids, but the silent majority out there feel for what you are going through.

Best of luck to everyone involved, and hopes for a speedy recovery to "normalcy".

~ Ray Darr

None
24th Sep 2002, 23:42
You and I have had a miscommunication.

I question the timing of the news organizations sudden interest in an event that has been occurring regularly over the past 12 months. That is my response to the story.

Further, did you notice the news said the furloughs retain health coverage? That does not come from the company...that comes from all of us pilots at each company by way of regular assessments deducted from our paychecks. They are also supported financially by voluntary contributions from most of the pilots of each company (typically payroll deducted as well). Additionally, most contracts require a reduction in flying hours while furloughs are on the street. This typically means an approximately 10% reduction in pay. Therefore I respond to your statement "I truly thought the aviation industry stuck together." in the affirmative.

Stearperson
25th Sep 2002, 03:05
I have heard that Delta told some of the furloughees not to expect to come back.
I am wondering if there is any truth to this. If anyone can tell me exactly what recall rights Delta pilots have I would like to get factual info.
The intention of this post is not to upset or offend anyone but simply to get the facts.

Thank You, Stearperson

None
25th Sep 2002, 13:02
Most contracts have a phrase like this:

A pilot will be eligible for recall for ten years from his date of furlough. The employment of a pilot who does not return from furlough within 10 years from his date of furlough will be terminated.

It is my guess that not many airlines have a 10 year plan right now. Under such circumstances, and understanding that 200-400 Captains retire every year, it would be difficult to say for certain that these furloughs would not be needed 10 years from now.

noatak
27th Sep 2002, 05:49
Hi as a pilot from overseas I have a question concerning furlough of pilots in the US:

If you as a pilot are on furlough would accept a job offer by an other company than the one that furloughed you, would you lose your right to return? Or would it be possible to work for an other company without any restrictions or penalties?

Stearperson
27th Sep 2002, 07:07
Noatak:That would depend on the policy of the new company hiring the furloghee.
Many airlines in the US require a pilot to resign their seniority at their previous airline before they will hire them.
If a pilot is able to get a job at a company that does not require them to resign their seniority then recall rights are retained at the previous company.