PDA

View Full Version : FAA license in Italy

PAflyboi
22nd Sep 2002, 20:52
Has anyone ever known someone with FAA licenses that was offered employment at an Italian (or for that matter, any European) company on the condition that they would convert to JAA ATPL(f)

I am an FAA licensed pilot with dual nationality in the U.S. and Italy. I exceed the minimum hour requirements at Air Dolomiti, but do not have the JAA frozen ATPL. At this point, I don't have the money to spend on the conversion without some knowledge that I will actually use it.

I fear that sending a CV with FAA licenses on it will cause it to immediately be thrown out.

Any thoughts?

Scusati, ma la mia grammatica ora non e ottima, e quindi non volevo scrivere tutto il messaggio in italiano. Conosco soltanto il dialetto siciliano e sto imparando la lingua propria :-)

pinguino
23rd Sep 2002, 13:05
ciao Paflyboy
I never knew someone who has been offered a job in Italy on a faa licence, and I think this is improbable.
You can try to email to the enac (italian caa) licensing office at: [email protected]

good luck

erjdriver
23rd Sep 2002, 16:03
Similar situation here. I'm afraid you'll have to go for the painful way of converting your FAA license. That is, passing all the 14 ATPL theory exams, a CPL and IR skill test (unless you have 1500 hrs multi-pilot) = lots of time staring at books and lots of money.

Why would you wanna go to Italy anyway? There are still some regionals who are hiring in the States. Since you live in PA, why don't you try Chautaqua - we have a base in Philly and we're supposed to start hiring soon.

Good luck.

PEACE

PAflyboi
25th Sep 2002, 07:55
Well... at first I wasn't sure how the European market was compared to that of the U.S. But now I know... it's virtually just as bad.

What do you think Chautauqua's mins will be? They're not posted on the website. I'll still be on the low side, with 850 TT and 60 multi.

There's always Great Lakes! LOL

erjdriver
25th Sep 2002, 18:06
Don't really now about their minima, but I'd send a resume anyway.
I would avoid GLA if I'd be you. The pay and working conditions suck, and stability is definately not there. Air Wisconsin and Comair are among the best, but, again, I don't know about their minima.
Build a couple of hounderd hours more and you'll be in good shape, but send those resumes out now anyway.
For you info, I believe Chautauqua has recalled all the folks they let go after 9/11. We are now taking delivery of 22 more ERJ for the Delta codeshare out of Orlando. With 2 a/c delivery a month, it means 10 new F/O slots a month. You'll probably be based in LGA or CMH, but you'll move up quickly.

Good luck.

PEACE

PAflyboi
25th Sep 2002, 19:32
I appreciate the encouragement and I will definitely start sending them my resume.

I was kidding about GLA. I understand too well their inadequacies. After all, when they are still only looking for 500 TT you know there is something wrong.

Are you working on your JAA tickets? Do you want to work for Alitalia?

Did I see you at the Italian Consulate in Philly about 4 or so months ago?

Peace

sodapop
21st Nov 2002, 20:02
Anchio sono italo-americano e ho fatto tutto il giro con il brevetto FAA a Roma con Civilavia. Ti scrivo in inglese che e' piu' facile anche per me.

I arrived here in '98 and had to convert my FAA ATP to an Italian commercial license, both written and practical exams. At that time you could be hired as an FO with only the CPL and I was lucky to be picked up by Air Dolomiti. Shortly after I upgraded to an ATPL and to captain. The situation has changed with the new JAA regs. It is absolutely impossible to be hired without a frozen (written) JAR ATPL, so in answer to your question your CV (resume') would probably be tossed. The hiring situation at the moment has stopped and probably will remain so until next spring at the earliest due to some shake up with the CRJ fleet and Lufthansa's plans.

If you want more info, feel free to email me personally at [email protected]

Take care and happy landings,

Darren