PDA

View Full Version : Atpl

callmeshirley
22nd Sep 2002, 20:20
:confused:
Hello one and all. First forum post of any sort- kodak moment.
Anyhoo, I just got my PPL and was wondering if now is a good time to do the fATPL distance learning( has anyone got any info on Glasgow-Nautical college?). I won`t have any money to fly for a while and I believe these exams are essential anyway. Does the ATPL theory expire? What does mcc mean? and what does the perf A mean on the minimum F/O requirements mean?Can I sit the ATPL theory exams with a measly 50 magic hours? How long do they take on average?
Apologies for the question bonanza but I`ve read loads of previous posts and these aren`t to be found.
Help much needed!
Thanks in advance!

The Boy Lard
22nd Sep 2002, 20:38
CMS,

OK, I'll try to answer your questions but I'm more than prepared to stand corrected if anyone knows better:

#1 The ATPLs "expire" 18 months after you sit your first exam if you havent passed them all by then so plan your time wisely if distance learning.

#2 MCC stands for Multi Crew Co-operation/co-ordination (never can remember which one it is!) and most airlines if not all require this as a basic qualification. Its a two week course comprising a weeks groundschool and a weeks sim time (the fun part) and is usually done at the very end of the ATPL "experience"

#3 Perf A was the old CAA qualification which was all about take off distance, field limitations etc.. now this is covered by Aircraft Performance in the JAR exams.

#4 As far as I am aware as a distance learner there is no minimum hour stipulation (I could be wrong)

#5 How long do they take? How long is a piece of string. It all depends on how much time you put in on a daily basis, how easily it sinks in etc... I've not done distance learning but from what I've read on this forum its taking anything from 18 months to 3 years (see bit above about planning time so that you dont "time out" on the exams)

Hope this is accurate and helps....good luck

TBL:D

gdnhalley
22nd Sep 2002, 21:13
Shirley
The timescale for distance learning could be less than 18 months if you can put the time in. I've just done my first 8 in about 4 months and I'm hoping to do the next 6 in 4 or 5 months. I have been flying for a bit longer than you, which may help a little in some subjects.
I looked at Glasgow Nautical College but decided to go with Bristol and I am happy with my decision. Sat my exams at Glasgow mind you.
good luck whatever you decide.
gdn

Send Clowns
22nd Sep 2002, 22:41
The only questions you asked not yet answered: Yes you can do the ATPL exams, as long as you hold a PPL. The exams expire 3 years after the 14th "pass". If you believe the 'experts' (about as good as any industry - ie better than guesswork, not to be relied upon!) then now is an excellent time to start. Flight International forecast a pilot shortage in 2004 (note though I work for a groundschool, I am not trying to sell my services as we are not approved for distance learning. However, I know a lot about hte system so feel free to send me email/private messages with queries)